Text page

Malaysia

Malaysia forum

Getting Indonesian visa in Penang

Posted by lcybul789 on 19/4/2016 at 01:41

Hey y'all! Super easy and fast visa process in Penang , Malaysia for a 60-day single-entry Indonesian tourist visa for Indonesia.

60-day single-entry Indonesian visa process in Penang: I stayed at a clean, affordable hostel in Georgetown (Couzi Couji) and took the 101 bus from the (Jedi/Jetti?) ferry / bus terminal. Maybe about a 30-40 minute bus ride. Get off at Gurney Drive on the corner of Jalan Pemenang and Jalan Kelawai. If you're going in the direction of the bus and looking at Jalan Pemenang, you're going to make a left on Pemenang. Make the first right onto Jalan Burma. It's a one-way street and you're going to walk against traffic. The consulate will be on the opposite side of the street so just be careful getting across. You're going to walk a couple of blocks. It will be past the Penang Hospital. You're going to go past the emergency room and it will be right there.

There were a lot of people outside the gate (which the guy at my hostel said is pretty common there). Walk inside the gate and get a number from the security desk. They're going to take your picture. You walk in, probably also will be very crowded, and go right to the passport or visa window #6-7. They'll ask you to fill out the form and provide a passport photo with a red background (I used a white background and it was fine), a copy of your passport, your actual passport, and a copy of a return ticket going home OR bank statement. It asks for a contact name and address of where you're staying. Also asks for a sponsor (relative, employer, whoever). I don't have a sponsor because I'm just going as a tourist and I left that part blank. It was fine. Hand it in, get a ticket, wait for your number on the tv screen, then they'll call you up to pay and will give you a piece of paper to bring when you come pick it up.

I didn't have a copy of a return ticket as I haven't purchased it yet. But I did bring a copy of a fairly recent bank statement (1 - 1.5 months ago). It says online that you need to have at least $2000 USD in your account. But! When I called up before my arrival in Penang, they said there only has to be $150 USD in your account. So I'd call up to double check before you get there if you feel that might be an issue.

They're open from 9:30am - 12pm for applications. I got there at 11:45am, and was out by 12:20pm with the instructions of coming by to pick it up the following day between 9:30am - 12pm or 2pm - 4pm. It cost me 190 Malaysian Ringgit (roughly $50 USD). Make sure to stress that you want a 60-day not 30-day visa to the person behind the counter. Then on the way back to the bus stop there are lots of food stands with delicious food and iced drinks that come in bags that you put a straw in. Mmmm!!! Perfect way to celebrate a super easy, smooth visa process!! The bus stop going back to Georgetown is on the same street as the consulate but on the opposite side. 1.40 MYR each way. Must have exact change for the bus. Good luck! smile.gif

#1 lcybul789 has been a member since 19/4/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by tezza on 15/5/2016 at 02:29

Good info icybul - thanks for taking the time.

#2 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,358

Posted by YogaSearcherBali on 20/6/2016 at 21:52

that's great information to share icybul789, it would be help so many travellers who are at the same situation at Penang.

#3 YogaSearcherBali has been a member since 25/2/2016. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 71

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.