Text page

Malaysia

Malaysia forum

From Bangkok to Georgetown with a bicycle.

Posted by fujimiro on 24/9/2016 at 02:14

Hi All,

In a few weeks time, I'll be traveling to George Town from Bangkok by train. I plan to take my bicycle with me (renting a bike in GT is not an option) and I am wondering what the best course of action would be. A few questions follow.

1. From what I understand, the train from Hua Lomphong now terminates at Padang Besar, from where I need to take another train to Butterworth and finally a ferry to George Town. Please correct if wrong.

2. What is the policy for bicycle transport on each of the trains mentioned in pt. 1? I would ideally take the bike in one piece, but if necessary, I can remove the wheels etc. and put everything in a dedicated bag. I don't mind paying additional fees for the bike.

3. Are there any back/flashpacker palces (I need a single room with own bathroom) in GT, which are known to be bike friendly? I would ideally like to keep my bicycle in my room.

thanks.

#1 fujimiro has been a member since 1/6/2016. Posts: 6

Posted by amnicoll on 24/9/2016 at 05:26

An odd decision to stop the train at the border but i suppose that with a train every 2 hours and the Southern service in Thailand having such an appalling record of time keeping then that may be the reason.

they do not dismantle motor bikes in Thailand so guess the same applies to the bikes but no idea what happens on the train in Malaysia as not used the new commuter trains. Assuming the dismantled bike is not small enough to stick in the luggage rack or under the seat the you would need to pay a fee

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by fujimiro on 2/10/2016 at 03:23

If anyone is interested, here is some fresh info from the Hua Lamphong station: the train does actually terminate at the border. The price of the ticket is 960 THB for second class AC sleeper lower berth. No 1-class sleepers at this time. A separate ticket needs to be purchased for the Malaysian leg of the trip.

Bicycle is transported in a cargo compartment and needs to be weighed first at the end of platform. Cost should be around 100 THB. There is a more detailed description of the process in the blog below:

--> http://bicyclethailand.com/how-to-transport-your-bicycle-on-thailand-trains/

#3 fujimiro has been a member since 1/6/2016. Posts: 6

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.