Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Malaysia - August 2017

Posted by pandd on 10/2/2017 at 18:04

Hi fellow Travelfish folks,

My boyfriend and I (late-20s) are travelling SE Asia for 4 months come this June-September. We were planning on doing a month in each of the following countries (in this order):

June: Cambodia
July: Vietnam
August: Malaysia
September: Indonesia

... however in looking more closely at what each country has to offer, we're now thinking we may trim our time in Malaysia down to 3 weeks tops instead of the full 4 weeks.

We would be in Malaysia during August... and are planning the following for our trip:

-KL
- Malacca
- KL briefly
- Georgetown
- Langkawi
- either Perhentians or Rendang
- KL to fly out to Indonesia

My questions are:

a) should we skip the islands on the East side (i.e. Perhentians or Rendang) and stay longer on Langkawi?
b) if we do go to the Perhentians or Rendang, which island would you recommend? Perhentians Kecil and Besar or Rendang? We like quieter places and would love to do some snorkelling or scuba diving. We're not big on partying.

Originally, we were thinking of doing 2 weeks on peninsular Malaysia and 2 on Malaysian Borneo however we then decided we'd rather stay on the peninsula as the only things we would want to see on Borneo would be Mt. Kinabalu (which seems quite expense to climb) and Kuching... and I understand that Sipadan (i.e. SE Sabah) is not that safe right now.

We also chose to skip the Cameron Highlands since we'll be in Vietnam before Malaysia and will see lots of countryside farmlands there (i.e. Sapa, Mai Chau, Ha Giang possibly).

Any insight, feedback, and/or alternate suggestions would be most welcome and appreciated!

Thanks all :)

#1 pandd has been a member since 10/2/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by amnicoll on 11/2/2017 at 04:32

Go with the wind,

IMO one island is sufficient. If you like malaysia stay longer if not leave earlier

If you leave early then make sure you have a visa for Indonesia that can be renewed or get the 60 day visa

Where are you going in Indonesia you could cross to Sumatra from Penang and avoid the need to go back to KL

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 931
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by gomesal1 on 23/3/2017 at 00:16

Wow...such a cool itinerary you have, you are really going to have a great time in Asia. Perhentians Kecil and Besar can be your ideal destination if you are not cancelling on this. This is quite as well as breathtaking. As per your requirement this will surely fit. Redang is mostly expensive and also very crowded. So you better take Perhentians Kecil and Besar for your visit. Have a good time.

#3 gomesal1 has been a member since 20/2/2017. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.