Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Sabah

Posted by bazal on 2/8/2017 at 14:22

Heya,

I'm trying to find my next travel location…

Real quickly:

US: Me 33, Brother 28 and Mother 61.

Time 2 weeks: Last week of May and first week of June.

Interests: Things we like to do: BEACH, swimming, beach, swimming… We LOVE a beautiful beach/water. We love water sports – snorkeling, Scuba (for me alone ^_________^). We also love hiking (tougher ones for my brother and I – like mountains or volcanoes), forests, mountains wildlife and culture/cultural shows. Basically we like to spend our vacation with activities and then R & R at a beach in front of our Hotel- either at the end of the vacation or in the afternoon.

Looks like Sabah has a great deal of what we love:

-White Water Rafting (I think the only LV3+ is the Padas River right?). During my time - it's during "wet-ish" - less wet season... so the river will be LV3 + right?

-There's a mountain I can climb Mount Kinabalu (but it looks like it takes 2-3 days to climb... that's too bad hoping for a full day climb). I hope we get to see the sunrise/sunset/stars :)

-There's wildlife/jungles! - I noticed there's crocodiles!!! The confusing thing online is these wildlife trips are all a couple of days long???

-There's world class diving ***Sipadan****, Mabul, Kapalai, Pom Pom, Mataking!

-Assuming there's snorkeling..

-Beaches I haven't looked into - but very important to us... on google I typed up "sabah beaches" and was more than happy

I'm hoping to spend a few days (3 maybe) in Kuala Lumpur then of to Sabah... but

Here's the problem I'm having... Sabah is HUGE!!! For example: White Water Rafting to Sipadan Island = 17hr+ driving. I know it's a 2.5 hr from Kuala Lumpur to Sabah. I have only 2 weeks... I don't want to spend those traveling - I want to spend them doing things I like... but I have no idea how to efficiently manage my days. I'm not very sure about the proximity of things/regions and the availability of transportation.

Also for the diving (and hoping there's good snorkeling for my mother/brother) - at for example: Sipadan, it looks like these are separate islands with resorts on them. So does this mean I can't dive at the other island sites/locations: Mabul, Kapalai, Pom Pom, Mataking? On google maps they look VERY close to each other but I have no idea if that's the case... and as we all know, typically with remote islands transportation is limited and costs $$$$.

Also - when it comes to booking - how do you book? Through a local agency or online? A local agency may know of discounts and such - but they may also charge tourists an arm and a leg... I'm assuming this is a do it yourself vacation (not through an agent).

Anyway I feel lost and I'm not entirely sure how/where to start looking. If anyone can give me any advice/suggestions I would highly appreciate it!!!!

PS. Feel free to privately message me.

#1 bazal has been a member since 2/8/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/9/2017 at 01:23 admin

A bit of a late reply sorry, but I'll point you to our two Sabah itineraries—they're a useful starting point to try and get some ideas together.

Two weeks in Sabah

Four weeks in Sabah

Given your timing considerations, the first one probably the more useful one.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,845
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by neilmason on 8/9/2017 at 18:48

Don't forget you can cheaply and comparatively quickly move from one end of Sabah to the other with Air Asia.

#3 neilmason has been a member since 31/12/2012. Posts: 45

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.