Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Posted by bazal on 2/8/2017 at 14:22

I'm trying to find my next travel location…

Real quickly:

US: Me 33, Brother 28 and Mother 61.

Time 2 weeks: Last week of May and first week of June.

Interests: Things we like to do: BEACH, swimming, beach, swimming… We LOVE a beautiful beach/water. We love water sports – snorkeling, Scuba (for me alone ^_________^). We also love hiking (tougher ones for my brother and I – like mountains or volcanoes), forests, mountains wildlife and culture/cultural shows. Basically we like to spend our vacation with activities and then R & R at a beach in front of our Hotel- either at the end of the vacation or in the afternoon.

Looks like Sabah has a great deal of what we love:

-White Water Rafting (I think the only LV3+ is the Padas River right?). During my time - it's during "wet-ish" - less wet season... so the river will be LV3 + right?

-There's a mountain I can climb Mount Kinabalu (but it looks like it takes 2-3 days to climb... that's too bad hoping for a full day climb). I hope we get to see the sunrise/sunset/stars :)

-There's wildlife/jungles! - I noticed there's crocodiles!!! The confusing thing online is these wildlife trips are all a couple of days long???

-There's world class diving ***Sipadan****, Mabul, Kapalai, Pom Pom, Mataking!

-Assuming there's snorkeling..

-Beaches I haven't looked into - but very important to us... on google I typed up "sabah beaches" and was more than happy

I'm hoping to spend a few days (3 maybe) in Kuala Lumpur then of to Sabah... but

Here's the problem I'm having... Sabah is HUGE!!! For example: White Water Rafting to Sipadan Island = 17hr+ driving. I know it's a 2.5 hr from Kuala Lumpur to Sabah. I have only 2 weeks... I don't want to spend those traveling - I want to spend them doing things I like... but I have no idea how to efficiently manage my days. I'm not very sure about the proximity of things/regions and the availability of transportation.

Also for the diving (and hoping there's good snorkeling for my mother/brother) - at for example: Sipadan, it looks like these are separate islands with resorts on them. So does this mean I can't dive at the other island sites/locations: Mabul, Kapalai, Pom Pom, Mataking? On google maps they look VERY close to each other but I have no idea if that's the case... and as we all know, typically with remote islands transportation is limited and costs $$$$.

Also - when it comes to booking - how do you book? Through a local agency or online? A local agency may know of discounts and such - but they may also charge tourists an arm and a leg... I'm assuming this is a do it yourself vacation (not through an agent).

Anyway I feel lost and I'm not entirely sure how/where to start looking. If anyone can give me any advice/suggestions I would highly appreciate it!!!!

PS. Feel free to privately message me.

#1 bazal has been a member since 2/8/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/9/2017 at 01:23 admin

A bit of a late reply sorry, but I'll point you to our two Sabah itineraries—they're a useful starting point to try and get some ideas together.

Two weeks in Sabah

Four weeks in Sabah

Given your timing considerations, the first one probably the more useful one.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,918
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by neilmason on 8/9/2017 at 18:48

Don't forget you can cheaply and comparatively quickly move from one end of Sabah to the other with Air Asia.

#3 neilmason has been a member since 31/12/2012. Posts: 45

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.