Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Train from Chumphon to Kuala Lumpur

Posted by ambersaffron on 21/3/2018 at 01:41

Hi,

I am looking at a train itinerary from Chumphon Thailand to Kuala Lumpur changing in Padang Besar. The train from Chumphon arrives at 8:53 and leaves Padang Besar at 10 am. My questions are:

1. Is this enough time to go through immigration and catch the train?

2. Does it behoove me to book theses tickets I’m advance online or is it easy to book at the station as I am travelling?

Thanks for any input!

Amber

#1 ambersaffron has been a member since 14/6/2011. Posts: 24
 Send ambersaffron a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 22/3/2018 at 00:53 admin

Hi Amber,

Yes, that is enough time for the changeover. (I'm assuming you mean it arrives at the border at 8:53!)

What time of year are you planning this? If in high season, yes I would book those in advance, even in off season, would be prudent (unless you have some flexibility in your travel plans).

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,968
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by amnicoll on 22/3/2018 at 02:01

More to the point is the fact that the train may/ will be late arriving at the border so book the Thai train - definitely if you want a sleeper but do not book the Malaysian one

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 924
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by ambersaffron on 23/3/2018 at 02:48

Thanks for this info. I’m traveling mid April. If I don’t book the Malaysian leg ( Padang Besar- KL) in advance, will it be easy to grab a ticket at the station on the spot?

Also, for booking the Thailand leg, I was thinking about using 12goasia. Has anyone had any experience with this agency?

Thanks again for the info!

#4 ambersaffron has been a member since 14/6/2011. Posts: 24
 Send ambersaffron a private message 

Posted by amnicoll on 23/3/2018 at 04:10

Beware mid April is songkran in Thailand and trains can be very difficult to get reservations. I always buy at the station in advance so have no experience of online but the state railway now do on line bookings check out man at seat 61.

Ask separately on the Malaysian forum about the need to book the long distance trains there if no answer here

#5 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 924
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by Baliboy on 23/3/2018 at 23:32

If 8.53 is Thai time and 10.00 is Malaysia time, won't that leave a margin of just seven minutes after allowing for the time difference? Not enough to get through Thai and Malaysian immigration and customs, even assuming the train from Chumphon arrives on time.

On the Malaysian side, if you don't need to reach KL on the same day you could probably get a ticket at short notice to somewhere like Alor Setar if all of the seats through to KL are fully booked.

#6 Baliboy has been a member since 30/9/2015. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.