Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Express boat from Kuching to Sibu

Posted by Trish177 on 21/6/2018 at 04:45

hi, I’m currently in Kuching and plan to travel by express boat to Sibu on Monday. Lonely Planet suggests buying a ticket at least a day in advance, but the jetty is a 35RM taxi ride away (and that’s just one way) so an expensive way just to buy the ticket prior to travelling. My hostel staff say it’s no problem to just turn up on the day. Has anyone travelled that way recently or at this time of year previously and, if so, do you think I should jump in a taxi and get my ticket ahead or is there likely to be plenty of space on the day? Apparently there is no bus to the Express Boat jetty.

#1 Trish177 has been a member since 28/4/2017. Posts: 10

Posted by amnicoll on 23/6/2018 at 05:36

I do not know and assume there is no ticket office in town.

In the absence of other responses then the answer will depend on the importance of traveling on Monday to you and not on the next service but if you chance it then always a good idea to go to the port early and hope your hostel was right

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 931
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by gecktrek on 23/6/2018 at 17:29

hey, i'm guessing you have already done your trip, but for future reference i found this link with transport details to sibu from kuching on the wikitravel website; http://www.etawau.com/Geography/Sarawak/Kuching/Transport.htm

#3 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 151
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Posted by amnicoll on 24/6/2018 at 05:43

gecktrek: It is only Sunday so I am sure you post will be helpful if she sees it

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 931
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.