Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Malaysia trip

Posted by heytoki on 3/10/2019 at 15:03

Hello all,

I will be travelling to Malaysia next year around the 3rd week of March to mid April. That will be 3 weeks in total.

I will spend the first week working in Kuala Lumpur and the other two will be travelling around as i will stay there on holidays.

Considering that time i will have to travel around, could you please advise on an itinerary? My preferences are beach life, backpacker style, scuba diving and snorkeling. Also i would like to see a rehabilitation center for Orangutans (or a place in the wild).

thanks for the inputs.

#1 heytoki has been a member since 20/3/2014. Posts: 10

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by exacto on 6/10/2019 at 04:00

I wish I could help, but my trips to Malaysia have been limited to KL and the Cameron Highlands , and recent reviews on Travelfish don't recommend the Cameron Highlands at all. There aren't a lot of samples for Malaysia in the itineraries section either, but even so, if you haven't yet, have a look at the Malaysia section for good information on places to visit.

Also, Travelfish member antoniamitchell recently visited this area and blogged about it, so hopefully she'll see this thread and share some of her observations.

Are you thinking of staying on the peninsula, or heading over to Borneo?

Finally, are you staying in Malaysia because of logistics, or because that is where you'd like to explore? I ask because with Air Asia, you may be able to quickly and inexpensively visit other locations too depending on what it is you'd most like to see. Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,786
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by heytoki on 7/10/2019 at 08:38

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

i would like to go to Borneo to visit an Orangutan conservation project. Also, i think i have seen somewhere there are good places for scuba diving.

The reason i am staying in Malaysia is because it will be my first time and i would like to get to know the country. i have been already in other countries in South East Asia.

Best regards.

#3 heytoki has been a member since 20/3/2014. Posts: 10

Posted by amnicoll on 10/10/2019 at 12:40

probably a good idea to read up a bit first and draft an outline itinerary that appeals to you and then post for comment and help.There is a mass of excellent info on this site alone and Malaysia is not short of coast.

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 957
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by heytoki on 11/10/2019 at 14:44

Hi Amnicoll,

You are right, but i couldn't draft an itinerary because that's what i wanted to know, an itinerary where i could cover beach life or island hopping in a backpacker vibe, scuba diving and snorkeling and visiting an orangutan rehabilitation center.

Now, i have done some digging and found out about places so i have drafted a plan:

As i said, i will be in Kuala Lumpur for work, 4 or 5 days. So in those days i will be exploring the city in my free time. Once i finish working, i will be officially on holidays for two weeks and i am thinking of the following itinerary, however i havent thought about the days in each place.

From KL i would go to the Perhentian Islands. I have seen Kecil is more backpacker orientated and Besar more family orientated. So i think Kecil would be my choice.
To get there from KL, what is the best option?
A night bus to the coast and then a ferry to the islands or flying to Kelantan and then a ferry?

From Kecil, i would go to Borneo. Could i fly from Kelantan to Kota Kinabalu and from there to Sandakan to visit an Orangutan rehabilitation center?

Then from Sandakan, i would go to any of the islands around there (i.e. Sipadan). Then back to KL and home.

is that feasible?

thanks and regards.

#5 heytoki has been a member since 20/3/2014. Posts: 10

Posted by amnicoll on 12/10/2019 at 09:21

personally i would not use night bus you could use the train and bus to the port or day bus as well

a simple google will show flights available and if there is a direct flight or you will need to change but I think Air Asia may fly there

#6 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 957
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by gecktrek on 12/10/2019 at 23:10

hey, check that boats actually go to the perhentians when you plan to visit, also, airasia has pretty cheap flights, look into whether they fly to the places you wish to go...

#7 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 166
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Posted by antoniamitchell on 13/10/2019 at 23:47

Hi,
Sorry this reply is a bit late.
Your timing is at the tail end of the East Coast monsoon season, as gecktrek alludes to. I believe the ferries to the Perhentians should be running normally again by your dates, but you unfortunately risk some poor visibility in the sea.
I haven't personally been to Perhentians, but I know they're quite developed. If you want less developed, i can recommend looking into Lang Tengah (small island with only 3 resorts, outstanding snorkeling and diving, but closes down completely in monsoon months as the sea gets very rough, so you'd need to check if the island had reopened by your dates) or Pulau Kapas (laid back backpacker island, with a handful of rustic accommodation options on gorgeous beaches. It's also quite close to the mainland, so crossings are less likely to be affected by bad weather).
Enjoy your trip!

#8 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 559
 Send antoniamitchell a private message   Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by heytoki on 14/10/2019 at 14:48

Excellent! thank you all for your inputs.

#9 heytoki has been a member since 20/3/2014. Posts: 10

Posted by fervenza on 17/10/2019 at 08:19

Hi!

If I where you I would leave the Perhentians out... it seems like quite a detour for just a beach (they are cool, but nothing you couldn't get somewhere else). Even more if you are flying to Borneo!! One of the best scuba diving in South East Asia is Sipadan Island, if you go there there is also plenty of beaches.

For two weeks I would concentrate in Borneo, maybe fly to Kuching first and see the Orangutans there and Bako National Park (with Probosic Monkeys) and then fly north to Sipadan for beach and scuba diving (the weather conditions in this time of the year are really good there!) :)

#10 fervenza has been a member since 1/3/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by heytoki on 17/10/2019 at 12:57

hi Fervenza,

Thank you for the advise.

I have checked Sipadan island and it seems to be the style i like.

So you are saying flying first to Kuching and see Orangutans that are in the Bako national park? and then flying from Kuching to Sipadan which i believe the airport is Tawau?

I have seen there is an Orangutan rehabilitation centre in Sepilok. is it easy to go there directly from KL and then Sipadan?

thanks

#11 heytoki has been a member since 20/3/2014. Posts: 10

Posted by fervenza on 18/10/2019 at 08:03

Hi again,

there is an orangutan rehabilitation center near Kuching , and Bako national park is also near. There is no Orangurtans there, but probosic monkeys (google the picture, thy look quite unique).

You are right with Tawau, thats the best airport for Sipadan.

You are also right that there is one rehabilitation center in Sepilok, if you decide to fly there instead of Kuching you can also do a river safari and hope to see elephants and wild orangutans and other primates (the river is called Sungai Kinabatangan). You could fly there to Sandakan airpot but from my experience travelling in northern Borneo can be quite slow. Do a bit of research if you decide on that option!

#12 fervenza has been a member since 1/3/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by heytoki on 18/10/2019 at 10:01

Hi Fervenza,

thanks again for your swift reply.

You are right, it seems easy to do day trips to the orangutan centre and Bako National Park from Kuchin and then fly to Tawau to get to Sipadan.

Out of curiosity, why travelling through northern Borneo is slow? is it because the lack of accessible transport or state of the roads?

Best regards.

#13 heytoki has been a member since 20/3/2014. Posts: 10

Posted by fervenza on 18/10/2019 at 10:06

I would say a balanced mix of both :)

But just fyi, last time I visited was 2017, so maybe things are faster now :)

#14 fervenza has been a member since 1/3/2017. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.