Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Best area for a 3 nights stay in Kuala Lumpur

Posted by virusvaleria on 7/8/2009 at 07:21

Off to Kuala Lumpur just for 3 nights: whats the best area??
i heard the golden triangle is the best one.

#1 virusvaleria has been a member since 10/3/2009. Posts: 40

Posted by BruceMoon on 7/8/2009 at 07:43

Hi

I often stay in KL (usually when in transit).

I find there is no 'best' area. Rather, I look for accommodation that is well situated to the public transport network.

As an aside, if you are doing the tourist 'bit', the public transport is run by several different companies. RapidKL operates the largest system - with buses and trains. They have a day pass that is really valuable (at least it is when you know how to scoot around the city).

I'm a bit of a foody, so I head for Bukit Bintang for dinner (and +++). That's on the monorail line. You can get there by RapidKL bus, but it's wearysome.

So, all this is a way of saying that I choose accommodation closish to (1) the RapidKl train stations and (2) the monorail. If I can't hook with the monorail, I'll train to a crossover to change.

Personally, the buzz around Chinatown is good for the first time traveller (esp. Jln Petaling). As it's not Muslim, there are many food/grog opportunities that may appeal. That said, it borders on Little India which has another fascination. For public transport, Chinatown has the Pesar Seni rail station, and the nearby Klang (longer distance) bus station, and the RapidKL bus terminus at Central Market.

And, there is reasonable competition in Chinatown that allows for budget through to...

Have a great time.

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by mitchell on 8/8/2009 at 20:40

so bruce, any reccos for a guest house? i will be there on monday coming from melakka. i like the idea of being close to transport. is something a/c for mr40-60 possible? i will only be there to get my indonesia visa, do a bit of shopping for this trip and eats. ++++ too if it isnt too costly!!
thanx

#3 mitchell has been a member since 26/6/2009. Posts: 16

Posted by miQuel on 8/8/2009 at 21:05

Hi micthell, sorry for mi english...

In Kuala try at http://www.backpackerskl.com room for 30RM
I want do the same in october, stay 3 days, get the indonesian visa and goe to Melaka...
In melaka have reservation for 2 days at http://www.jalanjalanguesthouse.com single room for 23RM

regards

M

#4 miQuel has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 10

Posted by BruceMoon on 9/8/2009 at 06:58

miQuel

Thanks for helping mitchell - I choose other accommodation options.

Cheers

#5 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by idreamofdurian on 14/9/2009 at 13:53 TF writer

China town area has the cheapest rooms. The hostels in the Golden Triangle area are really nice with great facilities, but cost double. Ex. It's easy to get a double room with shared bathroom for ~30 RM in China Town, but it would be about ~80 in Golden Triangle.

#6 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by mitchell on 2/10/2009 at 15:53

hey, i ended up staying at serai gh on jl. hang lak yew. not bad. singles from 40-60 with a/c. there is another on that same street which looked good and i may try it when i return next week for another indo visa. one street over was a nice new-looking one but only dormitory.
chinatown was too busy/noisy for me.
bruce, what do your +++ stand for in BB?! lol a reason to go there?

#7 mitchell has been a member since 26/6/2009. Posts: 16

Posted by chopin on 23/11/2009 at 21:41

Hi mitchell, I think you mean the Serai G/H at Jalan Hang Lekiu. :-) as for the +++, well BB area have some of the best shopping malls in KL, good eateries, cafes, and um... KL's equivalent of Patpong of Bangkok (though on a very much lesser scale and less in-your-face.)

#8 chopin has been a member since 28/4/2007. Posts: 154
 Send chopin a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.