Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

A week’s itinerary from Kuala Lumpa to Singapore

Posted by Beanic on 11/8/2009 at 19:48

I am going to be backpacking alone through Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand then travelling through Malaysia to get to Singapore where I will meet friends who live there.

A friend of mine will be flying from London to Kuala Lumpa to meet me. We will be travelling home from Singapore together a week later.

My dilemma is my friend will only be away for a week (a long way to go for a week). We want to spend at least 2 days in Singapore and possibly 1/2 days in KL.

As I am away for three months I shall be travelling on a tight budget. However I want to do something pretty nice and exciting for my friend’s sake (as she will probably spend about £700 on flights).

So I would love some suggestions of an itinerary travelling from KL to Singapore, stopping off in some lovely areas on a bit of a budget.

I like the idea of going via Teman Negara and Melaka, but can this be achieved in such a short amount of time? We will be travelling form the 16th-22nd December.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

#1 Beanic has been a member since 11/8/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by BruceMoon on 12/8/2009 at 07:01

Taman Negara AND Melaka in a week, definitely not.

My suggestion...

Assuming your friend hasn't seen an Asian city, spend a couple of days in KL (as a hint, you get there a few days earlier and work out what's great/what's not).

Then, take a bus ride to Melaka for a couple of days.

At Melaka, do go on a day trip to Pulau Besar (but, leave early). Tourist boats sometimes leave Melaka (go check out a travel agent when there), but the regular ferry leaves from Anjung (a bit further south). The beaches on the island are really nice, and the voyage over is quaint. Take a picnic lunch and your swimmers.

The trip to Singapore from Melaka is sort of OK. The only place that appeals to me is Muar. But, the town isn't really focussed towards tourism.

Johore Bahru is worth a wander around, and maybe an overnight. The restaurants along the Singapore Straights are good (but not sure whether better than Singapore, just different).

Hope this helps.

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by Beanic on 12/8/2009 at 17:12

Thanks for the advice.

I thought I was being a little ambitious regarding Teman Negara and Melaka.

The trip above doesn't sound too hectic, so should be a great trip!

Many thanks.

#3 Beanic has been a member since 11/8/2009. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.