Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Sabah and Brunei - your experiences please

Posted by perkypurplepixie on 11/9/2009 at 20:24

For myself, and to share information on this new-ish forum, I am wondering if anyone has experiences to share regarding their travels in Sabah and Brunei.

This is in addition to the topic on Turtle Island.

I am considering Sepilok, KK, going up Mount Kinabalu, and popping over to Brunei (via Pulau Labuan).

Any info to share on travel, where to stay, what to do, what not to do etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks, you lovely informative people.

#1 perkypurplepixie has been a member since 30/4/2008. Posts: 8

Posted by idreamofdurian on 14/9/2009 at 13:48 TF writer

Brunei is pretty boring, to be honest. It wasn't at all what I expected... Unless you're collecting country stamps or traveling across Borneo there's little reason to go here.

Sepilok is OK - very, very touristy though. It's a stop on the package-tourist trail, so at the feeding times a swarm of people show up. I much preferred the orang utan sanctuary outside Kuching, Sarawak...

Kinabalu Mountain is lovely, but accommodations and climbing fees are pricey. You can read my feature about it here: https://www.travelfish.org/feature/149

If you're an eco-lover where you should go is Sungai Kinabatangan. You can do multi-day trips staying at jungle lodge. Every day you go hiking and out on the river to look for wildlife (orang utans, proboscis monkeys, pygmy elephants, crocodiles, langurs, etc.). I spent about 2 months traveling across Borneo and it the highlight of the trip for me.

#2 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.