Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Pulau Perhentian in January?

Posted by Agosei on 14/9/2009 at 19:58

Hello fellow travellers..

Is it worth? I heard a few bad things concerning weather.

They suggest not to go in the monsoon period yet they also say it's crowded, how come?

#1 Agosei has been a member since 27/8/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by SBE on 14/9/2009 at 21:35

Who is "they"?

In the past I've been told by the tourist office in Penang that the Perhentians are more or less closed between mid to late October and Chinese New Year.

Next year Chinese New Year is in mid February so I can't see why January would be very crowded unless they are talking about the difficulty in finding a bed for the night.

Perhaps there isn't enough accommodation open to cater for the number of tourists who go there in rainy season?

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by Agosei on 14/9/2009 at 22:20

Hi, by they I meant sites that provide info linked to the islands.
Peak season because of xmas holidays etc..

cheers.

#3 Agosei has been a member since 27/8/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/9/2009 at 07:40 admin

The islands largely (though not totally) shut down between late October and late Feb due to the monsoon. Multiple boats a day out to the islands are also scaled back drasticly, but they'll probably still be one a day unless the seas are extreme.

Yes, you can still go and you should still be able to find a place that is open -- but I'd suggest it won't be ideal beach weather!

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,707
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 15/9/2009 at 19:07 TF writer

The monsoon season is definitely not an ideal time to go. You'll be seriously limited for boat travel there/back, places to stay, places to eat, and activities. On Pulau Perhentian Kecil some of the guesthouses actually disassemble their beach patios/porches because of the beating they take from the waves. This probably isn't the best time to try to snorkel with sea turtles...

If you're traveling to Malaysia anyway you could head to Kota Bahru to get the latest info. and then, if it's a no-go, continue south to Cherating or Pulau Tioman. They don't get hit by the monsoon quite as bad and there will still be places open.

#5 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by Agosei on 15/9/2009 at 19:36

Thank you very much for your insights. So I should have more luck on the west side? what places should I visit? Penang?Langkawi?..

#6 Agosei has been a member since 27/8/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by idreamofdurian on 15/9/2009 at 23:50 TF writer

What kind of holiday are you planning? Are beaches and islands a priority?

The west coast isn't as beach-y, but there are some. Langkawi is very developed and quite the opposite of the mellow Perhentians. Penang 's beaches are OK, but nothing spectacular.

The most common west coast itinerary would be: Penang --> KL --> Melaka

#7 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.