Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Woman travelling alone in Malaysia, Indonesia

Posted by maria_s on 15/9/2009 at 21:41

hi everyone,

I am leaving for a 4-month-trip to southeastasia next week, and will spend the first weeks in malaysia, then go on to indonesia.

in both countries, I will be travelling on my own. does anyone have experiences how easy or how hard that is, what I have to pay special attention to, etc?

thanks for any information.

maria

#1 maria_s has been a member since 14/9/2009. Posts: 22

Posted by idreamofdurian on 15/9/2009 at 23:58 TF writer

Hi Maria,

I've traveled by myself in both of those countries and never had any problems. You should, of course, take the same precautions you would at home to keep yourself safe: keep an eye on your drink in bars, avoid isolated places, avoid one on on situations with people you don't know too well, etc. One thing that does occasionally happen is people on motor bikes snatching purses from unsuspecting tourist gals. It's best to keep your wallet and ID in a daypack, money belt, etc.

When I've traveled solo in Muslim countries I actually found that the locals were a bit protective and made an effort to look out for me. I like being independent, but appreciated the kind gesture. As for attention from Malay/Indo guys, the ones I have encountered have typically been polite, friendly and inquisitive, but lost interest when they found out I wasn't Muslim :)

#2 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by miQuel on 16/9/2009 at 01:34

Hi Maria..

I do almost the same route 5 months with two girls more...
From where are you?

Saludos

M.

#3 miQuel has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 10

Posted by maria_s on 16/9/2009 at 06:27

thanks a lot @ idreamofdurian!

I am from austria :)

#4 maria_s has been a member since 14/9/2009. Posts: 22

Posted by idreamofdurian on 16/9/2009 at 16:23 TF writer

I was in Vienna last May -- I loved the weinermelange. Yum yum :)

#5 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576

Posted by parththefirst on 16/9/2009 at 16:34

Hi,

I am an expat staying in KL & keep on making short trips around SEA. Just returned from Indonesia trip..and it was awesome! Met a girl from Vienna there, who was under so much surprise that back home they do not consider non-European holidays at all! She had such a blast from 3 weeks..if this is your first time to Asia you will too!

Just a few pointers about KL..keep your bag on the inner-side shoulder [away from the road] and avoid dark alleys. The night charge for taxis is 1.5 times..insist on going by meter only. If not fix the price upfront. At the KL sentral station, they provide the map of public transport..it's quite a cheap option to explore KL. There is an hopon-hopoff bus service [myhoponhopoff.com]which covers a lot of interesting spots, which cannot be reached by public transport & lastly KL has a good nightlife. Don't miss enjoying :)

Cheers,
:P

#6 parththefirst has been a member since 15/9/2009. Posts: 10

Posted by miQuel on 16/9/2009 at 17:57

HI again Maria... if you want share a part of trip...
I have other post about in "Travel Companions"

https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelcompanions/7021_winter-in-se-asia/0

Cheers..!

#7 miQuel has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 10

Posted by ecilassim on 22/9/2009 at 14:08

Hi Maria,
Happy to heard tat u coming Malaysia for backpack,im Malaysian staying in Johor Bahru,its about 5hr bus from KL,its a town border to Singapore.I'll be happy show u around as a local while swap our backpack stories.

Daniel,

#8 ecilassim has been a member since 12/9/2009. Posts: 9

Posted by idreamofdurian on 23/9/2009 at 22:49 TF writer

now it sounds like you're being hit on :)

#9 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576

Posted by maria_s on 26/9/2009 at 13:03

that's what I was thinking :)

#10 maria_s has been a member since 14/9/2009. Posts: 22

Posted by Saphir on 10/10/2009 at 11:46

I travelled by myself in Malaysia for about a month in 2008, and then in 2009 I travelled in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore for two months (again alone)and had no problems.

#11 Saphir has been a member since 19/5/2009. Posts: 74
 Where has Saphir been? 

Posted by rowankat on 19/1/2010 at 18:46

NO PROBLEM! It's a great place to be alone.

#12 rowankat has been a member since 7/7/2007. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.