Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

How long is long enough?

Posted by Kiah on 20/9/2009 at 15:29

Hey All,

Firstly just want to say what an awesome travel site, it's made planning my trip to SE Asia so much easier!

Im going to be in SE for 2 months from the end of January and planning to do Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia and Singapore.

At the moment i'm planning 2 weeks for Malaysia.(not interested in the west coast) Taman Negara is a must see for me but what about the Perhentian islands? I'll be there at the beginning of March so concerned about catching the end of monsoon season and places not being open. I will have already spent time in Krabi and the Islands of south Thailand so i guess my question is: are the Perhentians worth a visit? If so how long should i factor in for a visit to them and Taman Negara?

Thanks

#1 Kiah has been a member since 15/9/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/9/2009 at 08:18 admin

Hi Kiah, glad you like the site -- thanks!

By early March, the islands should be well on the way to being in full swing, so if you've got two weeks all up I'd be looking at something like five nights on the islands perhaps three or four in the park (there is a good post on Taman Negara here ) and then perhaps somewhere else on the east coast, Cherating perhaps -- assuming you're last stop in Singapore...

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,575
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by chopin on 23/11/2009 at 21:21

Hi kiah, if you have had enough of islands from Thailand, then maybe you can skip the Malaysian ones, though I'll say Malaysian islands have better corals reefs. The east coast Malay states of Kelantan and Terengganu are definitely worth a visit, and maybe you can incorporate the jungle train into you path, since it passes by Taman Negara (what a good choice) http://www.malaysiasite.nl/jungletrain.htm, and will end at Gemas, from where you can continue on to Melaka and then to Singapore. You might want to skip the west coast, but Melaka is worth a go, plus it's on the way too.

have a great trip and pls do write us about it.

#3 chopin has been a member since 28/4/2007. Posts: 154

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.