Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Full Trip Report: Perhentian Islands

Posted by legalnomads on 11/11/2009 at 07:02

Hello, since TF is still finalising their guides for Malaysia, I wanted to link to my blog post on the Perhentian Islands.

I ended up staying on Perhentian Kecil, and chose Coral Bay (mostly because the sun sets on that side) instead of Long Beach. The islands were beautiful and the snorkeling was great.

Full trip report here: http://legalnomads.blogspot.com/2009/11/perhentian-islands-malaysias-perfect.html

Hope it's helpful!
Jodi

#1 legalnomads has been a member since 30/10/2009. Posts: 31
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by tezza on 14/11/2009 at 20:18

Thanks Jodi, great report. Killer sunset shots!
I gotta get back to the Perhentians! Aiming for July next year.

Yor page suggests you visited early Nov? Thing is, lots of sources say the island begins shutting down in October. Any signs of that? (my visits were in August).

#2 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,339
 Website 

Posted by legalnomads on 14/11/2009 at 22:37

Hi Tezza,

I was actually there from 20th or so of August through early September. Senja Bay shuts down Sept 15th; most of the others shut on Oct 1. It is my understanding that you don't want to be there in Nov, like you said.

Glad you liked to photos!
Jodi

#3 legalnomads has been a member since 30/10/2009. Posts: 31
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by Kiah on 17/11/2009 at 19:01

Hey Jodi,
Great Blog and stunning photos! What kind of camera did you use to get the underwater shots?

I'm going there for the first time in March and can't wait! Will probably go to Kecil, do you recommend booking accommodation in advance if so how far in advance?

Cheers

#4 Kiah has been a member since 15/9/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by legalnomads on 17/11/2009 at 22:32

Hi Kiah, I used my regular camera, a Canon G9 (they're up to G11 now and they are great cameras - midway between a DSLR and a point&shoot) with underwater casing.

As to booking ahead, in August it was extremely high season and people were sleeping on the beach because they had no accomodation. Long Beach definitely filled up a lot faster than Coral Bay, as it's where the party is. You could book a few nights at Senja (http://www.senjabay.com/) on Coral Bay online, and then during that time see if anything else pleases you. On Long Beach, you can email Panorama Resort ahead of time to book (malaysia-panorama@hotmail.com) a few nights and then move from there as well.

-Jodi
www.twitter.com/legalnomads

#5 legalnomads has been a member since 30/10/2009. Posts: 31
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.