Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Highlights of Singapore and peninsular/Borneo Malaysia in 7 days

Posted by gogohanneson on 17/2/2010 at 00:13

Will be in Singapore and Malaysia with three other people for a frustratingly short seven days in early March. I've looked all through the Malaysia forum (and have culled lots of helpful info about KL to Taman Negara, thanks to Bruce Moon and SBE, especially)but haven't seen this particular itinerary. Is it possible to fit in the following, even if we fly in some places: Jungle Railroad (even if just for a stretch), Singapore, KL, Taman Negara, and Kuching? And obviously, we'd just be hitting the highlights in each place. Many thanks in advance for all help and suggestions.

#1 gogohanneson has been a member since 19/7/2009. Posts: 9

Posted by chopin on 17/2/2010 at 15:47

Hi,

I think it is highly impractical to do all these places in 7 days. You may have to decide just to do West Malaysia; or just the East Malaysia (one 1 state of Sarawak or Sabah, given only 7 days). Forget about Singapore this time, since you only have a very short time.

Or else, even if you can afford to fly from KL to Kuching, the time wasted on logistics will make your money and time less worthy. Since it is so cheap to travel in this region, you can always come back in the next holiday to other nice places that you don't get to go at this time.

Hope you'll enjoy your trip.

#2 chopin has been a member since 28/4/2007. Posts: 154
 Send chopin a private message 

Posted by gogohanneson on 18/2/2010 at 03:42

Thanks, Chopin. Sounds like Sarawak is out (I'd already nixed Sabah) but do you think Taman Negara is out too if I'm going to KL? Is Taman Negara too far east? I'm really anxious to do that.

Also, I have to fly into Singapore (Either that or BKK but that just seems farther away)so that's a day.

Thanks again for input.

#3 gogohanneson has been a member since 19/7/2009. Posts: 9

Posted by chopin on 20/2/2010 at 13:29

Taman Negara is about 4 to 5 hours from KL by bus. Taman Negara will take at least 3 days for you to have a taste of the "oldest tropical forest in the world", longer if you are really into wildlife or bird watching. So, to be practical and not to make yourselves too tired and spread too thin, maybe this is all you can do with 7 days at hand:

(Day 1) Singapore - KLIA - KL - Jerantut/Temerloh - (Day 2) Tmn. Ngr. - (Day 5) KL - (Day 7) KLIA - Singapore

If you want to try the Jungle Train, then you should take the KTM train from Singapore - Gemas - Jerantut.

The above will give you a 2-day rest and sightseeing at KL (not bad to experience if you have never been there, just for its street foods and multi-culturalism alone). You may cut that further to stay in Tmn Ngr longer if you are a more nature person. Really, 7 days can't do much more than that, IMHO.

I personally haven't tried these routes, because I'm local and we went there in our own cars... :-) But if you need more info, I'll see what I can check up for you from here.

#4 chopin has been a member since 28/4/2007. Posts: 154
 Send chopin a private message 

Posted by gogohanneson on 21/2/2010 at 02:50

Wow, chopin, thank you so much. I can probably look up the trains on my own (thank you very much for offering) but it's very helpful to get a sense of the distances/times, which were confusing me!

As always, Travelfish comes through!

gogo

#5 gogohanneson has been a member since 19/7/2009. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.