Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Christmas 2010 Malaysia or Thailand ?

Posted by Carlos82 on 11/3/2010 at 23:51

Hi Folks,

I’m arriving in Malaysia at the end of November 2010 for a years travelling with my girlfriend and am looking some where nice to spend Christmas and New Year. I had looked at Langkawi but had thought also of moving up into Thailand.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Carl

#1 Carlos82 has been a member since 11/3/2010. Location: Ireland. Posts: 3

Posted by steve74 on 12/3/2010 at 02:03

Good question, I'm in exactly the same position (minus the girlfriend!) and would also love to hear others thoughts. Was thinking of perhaps heading to one of the Southern Thai Islands for Christmas. Would be a new experience for me spending Christmas on a beach in the sun!

#2 steve74 has been a member since 27/1/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by laconic on 14/3/2010 at 03:14

Just got done traveling through Thailand and Malaysia (m/28). We went to Chiang Mai, Bangkok, and Koh Tao island in Thailand and Penang and KL in Malaysia. I would personally prefer to spend xmas in Malaysia.

A friend told me that xmas and New Year in the Thai islands are crazy and super busy/crowded. If, like her, that is your kind of thing, then you will be super happy. It is just not my bag. Koh Tao was pricy for what you got in my opinion for food and accomidation. I can only imagine it over a busy holiday.

I spent xmas and new year in Ubud and Amed in Bali, which was relaxing and wonderful.

#3 laconic has been a member since 14/3/2010. Posts: 5

Posted by AbgAcid on 15/3/2010 at 14:00

Yes, its very subjective. Both places are great to spend the christmas. It all boils up to what you would like to have. A real merry crowded christmas, than thailand is the best bet. But if you want a quiter evening, then t malaysia.

AA

#4 AbgAcid has been a member since 28/11/2009. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 162
 Send AbgAcid a private message 

Posted by Carlos82 on 15/3/2010 at 17:07

Thanks for the replies, they have been quite helpful.

We are actually looking at spending being slightly extravagant and spending christmas on Phi Phi Island.

Any thoughts ?

#5 Carlos82 has been a member since 11/3/2010. Location: Ireland. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.