Photo: .

Mongolia forum

Technology vs.Basic Sanitation

Posted by daawgon on 16/6/2013 at 12:07

I just received this email from an American friend traveling in Mongolia - thought you might enjoy a laugh:

Technology vs.Basic Sanitation

We have now arrived at the Ger camp. It is a very basic camp and there is no indoor toilet. In fact shortly after arrival, we had lunch and then I needed to do you know what - and I had to do it totally out in the open!!! This was a first time experience. On previous trips, I have dealt with some basic facilities, but this was the first time I had to do it totally out in an open field - with horses and yaks roaming around nearby. However, here's the irony:

Every member of my host family, including the 10 year old, has a cell phone and they have a laptop - which I am using at the moment - and Internet access is provided by satellite. I guess in this day and age, technology is more important than basic sanitation!!!!!!!!

PS - I wonder what they do in winter. The Mongolian winters are bitterly cold and I cannot even imagine having to do that outside in winter. You will probably turn into an iceman. However, my host family cannot speak English and so I cannot ask the question :)

IT'S ALL PART OF THE OVERALL EXPERIENCE OF BEING IN MONGOLIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,111

Posted by DLuek on 16/6/2013 at 22:06 TF writer

I wonder what they do in winter

Must be an app for that. :)

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,171
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by gennakim on 19/6/2013 at 00:27

Lol i love this story!
Well i had similar experience before and it was like... being part of nature and i kinda enjoyed it later haha
But at first time, i almost cried.......

#3 gennakim has been a member since 13/4/2013. Location: Korea, South. Posts: 4

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 16/7/2013 at 11:01

You've never done a bog camping before? No big deal at all. Must have lived a sheltered city life.

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.