Photo: On the road to Banlung.

Motorbiking in Asia forum

Driving license for motorbiking in Vietnam

Posted by D_Lily on 25/8/2010 at 11:50

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm wondering that if I have a motorbike tour in Vietnam, do I need Vietnam driving license?

#1 D_Lily has been a member since 28/7/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/8/2010 at 09:19 admin

No you don't. If you're on a tour you'll have someone else driving the bike for you anyway.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,652
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by KazAussie on 31/8/2010 at 17:01

If you do ride, you won't need a licence ... well the rules say you do, but no one will ask. Just remember though to check your travel insurance... usually they won't pay if you have an accident and you aren't licenced.

#3 KazAussie has been a member since 18/7/2009. Posts: 221

Posted by valis on 7/9/2010 at 03:39

do you have to provide insurance documents for the bike you are riding when in vietnam.or when crossing over to laos.

#4 valis has been a member since 14/7/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 30
 Send valis a private message 

Posted by farflunglori on 13/1/2011 at 20:00

Posted from within Vietnam.

In Vietnam now, been driving a insurance, no license, and not legally registered bike, and had an accident, with some injury! Police, investigations, reports, hospitals, the worst nightmare. But the good part is that the police said they are told to overlook the illegality of foreigners driving, and let it slide. All you have to do is come to an agreeable payoff to the other party in the accident. You will be somewhat at fault because of the illegality. I negotiated with the other party, paid $100, and got my bike back and carried on. That is the low down in Vietnam.

#5 farflunglori has been a member since 24/11/2010. Posts: 13

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.