Photo: On the road to Banlung.

Motorbiking in Asia forum

Lost Drivers License

Posted by monkindy on 5/11/2010 at 11:22

Hi, I am leaving for South East Asia in two weeks for athree months journey, but have however managed to lose my driver’s licensewithin the last week.
It will take between 2-3weeks for a new one to come through so this is notsuitable.
Therefore I was wondering what forms of idea are suitable when travelling inAsia (I’m going to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia)
Im flying in and out of Thailand with land crossings between the othercountries, apart from Laos to Vietnam where I will fly in with a visa on arrival.
I will be doing normal tourist activities and was hoping to rent a motorbikesomewhere in Vietnam.
Will my passport be sufficient as identification while travelling around? Iwill have other sorts of ID such as credit card with my name on it, old studentID with picture and name, work ID with picture and name.
Or do I desperately need a new drivers license before I leave!!!???

Much appreciated

#1 monkindy has been a member since 30/5/2010. Posts: 15

Posted by James7 on 5/11/2010 at 14:02

Posted from within Vietnam.

I've just spent the last couple of weeks travelling through Vietnam by motorbike, so what I say here I know applies to Vietnam for sure; Laos, Cambodia and Thailand I can't say for certain but imagine it would be pretty much the same. Your driving license would not be valid in Vietnam anyway and neither is an IDP but everyone here drives without one anyway as there is no way to obtain a Vietnam license without a working visa and even then it's a very protracted process that takes a number of weeks. The police here tend to leave foreigners alone unless you're involved in an accident. To rent a bike they won't ask to see any type of license and you will need to leave your passport with the rental company and they'll give you a letter stating they're holding it as a deposit to show hotels and authorites etc. explaining this. If you're going on a longer trip then they'll accept a cash deposit of the full price of the bike instead of your passport as collatoral. You may struggle to get a rental bike across borders, depending on the length of your trip you may be better off buying something and then selling it. Also expect to visit the mechanics often. Rentals in Hanoi - Mr Cuong comes highly reccomended by a lot of people. Hope this helps.

#2 James7 has been a member since 16/10/2010. Posts: 3

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.