Photo: On the road to Banlung.

Motorbiking in Asia forum

Motorbiking Burma

Posted by cmfj on 31/7/2011 at 09:21

Hey, I see a lot of posts about motorbiking through Vietnam, Thailand etc. I have not come across anyone doing this in Burma. Wondering if anyone has any insight, advice or experience traveling in this country by motorbike. Myself and a friend are thinking this could be a great adventure! Anything at all is helpful, cheers!

#1 cmfj has been a member since 31/7/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by KRStamm on 31/7/2011 at 23:03

I spent my honeymoon for a month in Myanmar. They people in Myanmar refer to their country as Myanmar not as Burma just as a friendly tip (they will tell you that only westerners still call it that).

Unfortunately you are NOT allowed to ride a motorbike in Burma. They are NOT allowed in Yangoon and you are not allowed to travel with your own transportation. You are not allowed to rent a bike and if anyone in Mandalay does ask you if you want to rent one you may be arrested by the Burmeese officials. You are not allowed to travel outside the tourist areas. There are some lovely quiet places that will forever be embedded in your memory but I would recommend public transportation since Myanmar truly is not about the scenery but the people. I hope this helps.

#2 KRStamm has been a member since 10/9/2007. Posts: 38

Posted by MADMAC on 31/7/2011 at 23:24

A lot of "not alloweds" going on here.

I find name reinventions a curious thing that only seems to apply to Asia. Hence Peking isn't Peking, it's Beijing. And Rangoon isn't Rangoon, it's Yangon. But Koeln is still Cologne, and Muenchen is still Munich...

Then there's the political renamings by all and sundry - the worst is the riduculously named Ho Chi Minh City. Hillarious - I'll stick with Saigon thanks.

And we have Burma. Myanmar? Christ.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 1/8/2011 at 15:57

I did forget Rhodesia and some of the African colonial names that were changed... didn't I?

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.