Photo: On the road to Banlung.

Motorbiking in Asia forum

road trip bangkok to chiang mai

Posted by vagabonder83 on 2/8/2012 at 21:41

Hi i am about to do my 1st trip to thailand, i have some motorbike experience and like to get off the beaten track and was considering hiring a motorbike in BK and doing a road trip up to chiang mai stopping and staying at a few places along the way. I only want to go 1 way so is it possible to put your bike on the overnight train back to BK?. is this really worth doing? or would it just be better to do this by train? and input is uch appreciated :)

#1 vagabonder83 has been a member since 2/8/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by MarnusNel on 26/11/2012 at 10:41

Any help needed.

We are two friends arriving in Bangkok on 22 December 2012.

Our plan so far is :
22 Dec - Bangkok
23 Dec - Bangkok

Then heading off to Cambodia side (dunno how yet)
Spend some time in Cambodia and possibly Vietnam (we would like to do some biking around for a few days up to 27 Dec.

Then somehow get to Koh Samui side (can we take a ferry across the gulf of Thailand or must we fly)

Then spend time in Thailand (possibly renting bikes)

Flying back to South Africa from Bangkok on 4 January 2013.

So - no real plans but would like to get some info wrt travelling around etc.

We not concerned about accommodation as hotels are cheap enough and Im sure there are enough places to chose from.
(I have previously only been in Phuket for 10 days so this is a wild trip)

Please suggest what can be done in the time we have etc etc.

#2 MarnusNel has been a member since 26/11/2012. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.