Photo: On the road to Banlung.

Motorbiking in Asia forum

Motorbiking without license

Posted by thelonewanderer on 29/10/2012 at 00:16

Hi my first post on travel fish. Woo hoo.

I'm out in Singapore until December, and am wanting to embrace the lands around me. I am passionately excited about motorbiking from Johor Bahru (Malaysia) and buying a bike there, through thailand, cambodia and vietnam until Han Noi, where I plan to fly back to Singapore after selling the bike on there.

The main thing I am worried about is insurance. I am a cautious driver, but if someone else crashes into me, my travel insurance probably won't cover me as I don't have a motorbike license (they cover me up to 125CC). I have a full UK driver's license, but no motorbike license.

I am so ecstatic about this road trip, but am worried that if I have an accident, I'll be in trouble. It's not everyday I am out in SE Asia, and I want to embrace it now while I can.

Your advice would be much appreciated!

#1 thelonewanderer has been a member since 28/10/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by caseyprich on 29/10/2012 at 02:14

Depending on your insurance, some require an international drivers license as well, motorbike certified. If you do not have the proper license and you are injured, your insurance will not pay for it.

You can certainly make long journey's for fun on a 125cc - even go onto some dirt roads if you like. Though I can't imagine taking a long-haul like you've described on one.

Also realize that only certain border crossings will let you take a motorbike across.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by goonistik on 29/10/2012 at 03:22

Please be aware that in some SEA countries, they do not recognize the International Driving Permit. Your insurance may require that you be properly licensed to drive in these countries and that means getting a local driver's license.

#3 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by Nokka on 29/10/2012 at 10:51

If your insurance policy is with a UK company then any accident you have while riding a motorbike will not be covered. So - no cover for the bike, but more importantly no cover in case you need any medical care. Or third party cover for that matter.

#4 Nokka has been a member since 6/4/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 259
 Send Nokka a private message 

Posted by busylizzy on 29/10/2012 at 13:56

It's a huge risk. If you have an accident, you and/or your family back home could sturggle financially to cover the bills that insurance won't cover.

Check out these stories - both relate to the impact that their accidents had on their families as they didn't have insurance cover: - he is a relative of one of the regular TF bloggers/contributors - the story of a fellow Kiwi who came to grief recently.

I'm not saying 'don't do it' - but you need to be very aware of what you are taking on. Against better judgement, I've taken on the risk myself, but I restrict the areas where I ride to relative low (and slow) traffic areas, ride slow and always wear a helmet.

Your best bet is to get a local licence before you leave, but in your case, it may be too late for that. It's something I'm supposed to be working myself before I venture onto a motorbike again.

#5 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,152
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 29/10/2012 at 23:54

These long, cross border motorbike rides are getting more and more difficult as time goes buy. More and more regulations are being put up everywhere in the world. In country SEA is still pretty Lessaiz Faire, but at border crossings, rules and laws actually might mean something. Most disconcerting. So while your idea is a nice one, doing it on a 125cc bike would suck and the hurdles are each border crossing eventually will probably be insurmountable.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by LastWalkman on 20/11/2012 at 00:44

Posted from within Vietnam.

It's impposible. You can not take your bike to Vietnam. Most of rider choose option of renting or buying a bike in Hanoi or HCM city and sell it when fiinish their trip

#7 LastWalkman has been a member since 20/11/2012. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 8
 Send LastWalkman a private message   Website 

Posted by Rukus on 27/11/2012 at 03:07

So are you saying it would be best to buy a bike in Vietnam first then it's easier to get into Laos, Cambodia, Thailand. Rather than buying a bike from any of those and trying to enter Vietnam?

It's difficult to find some solid rules on these border crossings, some people say it's easy some people say impossible

#8 Rukus has been a member since 28/10/2011. Posts: 22
 Send Rukus a private message 

Posted by Dannyboy6 on 10/11/2013 at 23:03

Thailand accepts International License , I would get one at AAA for $15.00 or so, you can get counterfeits at Khoasan Rd shops, I've used mine since 2009 , yeah it expired but I never show front page, always open to picture page, once they see IL, they let you go cannot collect Tea Money if you have Inter. L, never drive in Fast Lane, Right Lane in Thailand or Passing Lane, you will pay Tea Money for this infraction, I was also stopped for driving with lights on, even though proven it's Safer, cost 100baht or about 3 bucks, also Drunk Driving in Pattaya will cost you about 40,000 baht, up from 1000baht a couple of years ago, take baht bus in Pattaya instead it's only 10baht or 30cents American, if anybody needs info for Thailand Issan areas or Pattaya, contact me

#9 Dannyboy6 has been a member since 10/11/2013. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.