Text page

Motorbiking in Asia

Motorbiking in Asia forum

Sumatra to Malaysia on car/motorcycle ferry

Posted by jeffruch on 17/10/2022 at 02:14

Hi,

Is there a ferry service running at the moment to take 2 people and a motorcycle from Sumatra to Malaysia. Medium sized Australian registered adventure motorcycle. Thanks, Jeff

#1 jeffruch has been a member since 7/5/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by somtam2000 on 17/10/2022 at 04:05 admin

Simple answer, I don’t know. 

Slightly more helpful answer, is this thread on a motorcycle forum (it is for travel in opposite direction, but it is a starting point). Also, Indomal run ferries from Dumai to Melaka, but I’m not sure if they’d take a motorbike. Their Facebook page works far better than their real website.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,097

Posted by davelliot on 17/10/2022 at 09:10

I have taken the ferries Melaka to Dumai and Dumai to Melaka in 2018 and I can confirm they are just passenger boats and can't take motorbikes. Unfortunately according to This Blog trying to separately a bike to Malaysia can be difficult and time consuming. Even though its from 2011 I suspect not much may have changed.

#3 davelliot has been a member since 6/9/2017. Posts: 61

Posted by jeffruch on 17/10/2022 at 23:35

Thanks guys, I have also found on another facebook group "Indonesia Overland Network", secondary link  "Beyond Two Wheels" writes of an Indonesian overlander Mahong Teo.              He was able to negotiate with owners of a traditional boat to take his adventure bike over to Malaysia.

Probably not a regular thing, probably almost impossible to organise if you don't speak the local lingo.

I'm guessing it's a far cry from the Lombok-Sumbawa ferry!

Regards, Jeff   Adelaide Australia

#4 jeffruch has been a member since 7/5/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by davelliot on 21/10/2022 at 04:08

Learning some Indonesian to deal with this wouldn't take that long and probably someone could be found to translate if necessary.The real issue is the amount of waiting with all the likely delays.How far were you planning to go on this motorbike trip ?

#5 davelliot has been a member since 6/9/2017. Posts: 61

Posted by jeffruch on 30/10/2022 at 23:16

Hi Davelliot,

The ultimate goal would be heading up through Malaysia, Thailand and maybe Laos.

Of course there are many hurdles to jump here, this adventure wouldn't start until the end of next year at best, Adelaide, Darwin, Timor up through Indo to Sumatra then onwards. So there are no real time constraints. Many logistics to sort through though! 

Quite naive about it thus far I'm sure!

Not to mention getting the bike back to Australia when I get sick of riding...

#6 jeffruch has been a member since 7/5/2008. Posts: 5

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.