Photo: A boat with your name on it, Coron, Busuanga Island.

Philippines forum

Travel to Mindanao?

Posted by cisdeluca on 27/2/2011 at 20:54

Has anyone recently traveled to Mindanao and can you comment on the safety in the region for foreigners? Specifically Cagayan de Oro, Clarin and Plaridel?

Thanks for any insight!

#1 cisdeluca has been a member since 17/1/2011. Posts: 13

Posted by goonistik on 28/2/2011 at 12:15

You should be ok in this part. The usual precautions should suffice. It is a big plus if you have local friends to guide you.

Large parts of Mindanao can be visited safely.

#2 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by almostcool on 6/5/2011 at 22:56

the areas u mentioned are relatively safe.

#3 almostcool has been a member since 29/8/2010. Posts: 7

Posted by MADMAC on 7/5/2011 at 10:17

I just talked to a Filipino friend about this the other day. He's from near Davao. He says it's not too bad, and pretty safe to travel. Violence is way down, and the warring parties are in discourse.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by MSboodlefight on 10/5/2011 at 13:26

Mindanao is a very large island which consists many big cities but the most famous and largest city is DAVAO CITY. It safe to travel Davao, when you're coming from MANILA, take an airplane -just 1 hours and 30 mins and poof! you are already in Davao. You can enjoy the white sand beaches, the nature, the fresh fruits such and many more. Cagayan de Oro is safe to travel as well as the other place mentioned above. If you are travelling alone it is better to book in an agency or hotels. Enjoy :-)

#5 MSboodlefight has been a member since 10/5/2011. Location: Philippines. Posts: 6
 Send MSboodlefight a private message 

Posted by mindanao on 12/9/2011 at 01:39

hi cisdeluca -ive been to cdo several times since 2005 and many other areas in mindanao ,never had any problems ,we were there for approx 3 weeks in march/april ,if u have nay other questions -u can pm me .

#6 mindanao has been a member since 12/9/2011. Posts: 19
 Send mindanao a private message 

Posted by RickWarren on 24/2/2012 at 08:55

Hello there,

Thanks for sharing your valuable thought for travel to ire-land, Mindanao is the second-largest and the most famous southerly island, with a very different feel from the rest of the country. A variety of Muslim ethnic groups live here. In the southwestern tip of Mindanao is Zamboanga City, considered by some as the most romantic place in the Philippines and a favourite resort amongst tourists. The city is noted for its seashells, unspoiled tropical scenery and magnificent flowers.

Thanks in advance
Rick Warren

#7 RickWarren has been a member since 9/1/2012. Posts: 21

Posted by Lei on 24/4/2012 at 00:05

I just want to share an update.

Davao City and Cagayan de Oro are indeed safe cities to travel to.

However, last December, a super typhoon has passed CDO and destroyed a lot of houses and establishments. Repairs are still currently under way so any donations or help that you can give when you visit, please do so. Thanks!

#8 Lei has been a member since 20/4/2012. Posts: 8
 Send Lei a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by imasmiley88 on 19/5/2012 at 07:52

It's okay to travel in Mindanao. I've been there a lot of times. I know that are some not good news about the place, but there are a lot more reasons why it's good to visit the place. I can give two examples which are also my favorites.

First is the tinuy-an falls at Surigao del Sur and they call it the Little Niagara of the Philippines because it's the widest falls in the country.

Second is the surfing capital of the Philippines in Surigao del Sur. I don't know how to surf but I love to watch people surfing. :)

Though there are many cities in Mindanao also, most of the places there are rural so I guess that's the reason why there are many natural wonders there.

Second

#9 imasmiley88 has been a member since 19/5/2012. Posts: 17
 Website 

Posted by mythjen on 30/5/2012 at 20:16

There are plenty of places in Mindanao which are relatively safe, Cis. My advice for you to be in good hands, though: befriend the locals especially at the hotel or dorm you'll be staying who can tell you where or where not to go, don't go too far out at night, don't travel at night (period), and don't do too much shopping in public.

Good places to visit (which are safe, of course) include the cities of Davao, Cagayan de Oro, Butuan, Digos, General Santos, Iligan, Pagadian, and inner Zamboanga City. Not to mention the famous destinations Siargao and Dakak.

Be safe, brotha.

#10 mythjen has been a member since 30/5/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by travelinasia on 7/9/2012 at 08:04

You should evade places like Zamboangga, Lanao del Norte and Lanao del Sur, Maguindanao, Sulu, Tawi Tawi, far southern part of Palawan, North Cotabato.

There are also a lot of interesting places on the Luzon and Visayas areas that are extremely safe.

#11 travelinasia has been a member since 8/8/2012. Posts: 18

Posted by threadstone on 17/11/2013 at 03:18

If your planning a trip to Mindanao, this are the best place for you to go.
Cagayan de Oro City, Iligan, Bukidnon, Davao City, Siargao . Of course to be more safe, you must have with your tourist guide.

#12 threadstone has been a member since 15/11/2013. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.