Photo: A boat with your name on it, Coron, Busuanga Island.

Philippines forum

Visit the Philippines or Return to Vietnam?

Posted by sunbell79 on 21/9/2013 at 12:17

Hi,
I know that this is pretty open ended, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Each Spring my husband and I take a big trip and next year we're debating between visiting the Philippines for the first time or returning to Vietnam, which we absolutely loved two years ago. There's still much to uncover in Vietnam: Sapa, Central Highlands, MeKong Delta, etc. But, we might love the Philippines even more.

On our trips we of course love gorgeous beaches, but more than that, we love to get to know a new culture by covering the cities and towns by foot. We adore going through the markets, eating at the stalls with the locals, and basically eat and drink our way through the country.

Would love any advice you might have to offer. We're looking at going late March, early April, which is when we've visited both Thailand and Vietnam and are fully prepared for heat, humidity, and rain. We'll have about two weeks, which is customary for us.

Many, many thanks in advance!!

#1 sunbell79 has been a member since 25/1/2012. Posts: 6
 Where has sunbell79 been? 

Posted by PeterMFL on 23/9/2013 at 07:58

Definitely check out Philippines since you've already been to vietnam!
I absolutely love Boracay! Check out some photos you might get interested to do more research on it! ;)

#2 PeterMFL has been a member since 21/9/2013. Posts: 16
 Send PeterMFL a private message   Website   Facebook    Google+ 

Posted by gwapo on 11/10/2013 at 10:25

Go to Vietnam. Its far better value than Philippines and much cheaper and easier to get around. In only a few years Vietnam has developed a thriving tourist infrastructure. The food is great. Boracay is a prime example of how not to develop a tropical paradise. It is a tiny island,bursting to the seams and totally overdeveloped. Many of the signs are in Korean as the island is a venue for rowdy,noisy party goers straight in from Seoul.
The once pristine white beach is covered in trash

Sapa v Banaue? Halong Bay or PPUR?Give me Sapa and Halong anytime. Two weeks in Vietnam will cost you less than half what you will pay in Philippines. Its a no brainer
Consider Cambodia if you have not already visited. Angkor Wat alone gets more visitors per year than the entire Philippines

#3 gwapo has been a member since 4/6/2011. Posts: 49

Posted by jackwilliam86 on 17/12/2013 at 09:51

Yeah do visit Philippines, beautiful place, beautiful mall's, nice people, friendly atmosphere, you will like it...

#4 jackwilliam86 has been a member since 5/12/2013. Posts: 14

Posted by roxaane on 17/12/2013 at 23:32

Go to phillipines. Its absolutely fun !! Especially Manila ocean park . You'll love it :)

#5 roxaane has been a member since 17/12/2013. Posts: 6

Posted by sunbell79 on 18/12/2013 at 08:16

Thanks all for the tips. We will make sure to visit the Philippines in the future. For our next trip, we completely switched gears and are headed to Japan. Will seek tips for that soon.

#6 sunbell79 has been a member since 25/1/2012. Posts: 6
 Where has sunbell79 been? 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 4/3/2014 at 09:03

You will find Japan a lot more pricey. Its a bit sterile as well.

#7 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by MercyB on 24/3/2014 at 02:30

Hi!

I know this is pretty late but I do hope you visit the Philippines very soon. Or at least in your future travel plans. I'm from Manila (and though this may sound a bit biased) and have travelled to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia. But if you are in search of beaches, nothing will compare to the beaches you'll find in the Philippines. There are so many to choose from and very affordable. And you'll meet some of the nicest, most hospitable people.

Mercee

#8 MercyB has been a member since 24/3/2014. Posts: 7

Posted by davidurmann on 30/3/2014 at 07:03

I would vote for the Philippines also especially as you have traveled to Vietnam already a number of times. Some of my favorite places include Bohol and Camuigan which are easy to reach and lovely places to spend a week or more exploring. I love Vietnam also and the food is great. I dont think you can go wrong with this choice!

#9 davidurmann has been a member since 29/3/2014. Posts: 4
 Send davidurmann a private message   Where has davidurmann been?   Facebook    Pinterest 

Posted by MarkSmith on 12/4/2014 at 05:49

No Doubt Philippiness Is So Beautiful , So if you have decided the go there

#10 MarkSmith has been a member since 12/4/2014. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.