Text page

Philippines

Philippines forum

Newbie Traveller

Posted by atm on 30/10/2014 at 13:43

Hello Peeps.

I have 60 days to kill in the Philippines from Feb 2nd and £3000. The only prerequisite is that I complete a PADI Advance Open Water Course to get Certified so would love a recomendation on a location for that please. Other than that the islands are my oyster as they say......

I am a 39 year old male and on my own.

PS I DONT want to party.

Any assistance with my 60 day itinery would be most appreciated please.

I am Physically Fit and up for anything.

Many thanks.
MH

#1 atm has been a member since 30/10/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by goonistik on 30/10/2014 at 22:52

Dumaguete and nearby Dauin are probably your best bet.

#2 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563

Posted by cathyklarks on 30/10/2014 at 23:21

best country ever. been there for like two weeks and i just don't wanna leave. beaches are awesome. i'll be sure to come back.

#3 cathyklarks has been a member since 30/10/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by wanderer143 on 2/11/2014 at 01:49

Check out Badladz in Puerto Galera. The owner is a foreigner. Great diving sites and diving courses are accredited by PADI. Was about to visit there last year but canceled to purchase a DSLR. Shame isn't it? Leaning towards to go there this April 2015. Hope that helps.

#4 wanderer143 has been a member since 2/11/2014. Posts: 136

Posted by Babalugats on 2/11/2014 at 20:08

Coron, El Nido, Siquijor, Camiguin, and Bucas Grande

#5 Babalugats has been a member since 21/3/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 74

Posted by miriam123 on 18/11/2014 at 17:31

Biliran island is beautiful. Very untouristy and beautiful. Lots of waterfalls, hiking, hotsprings, island hopping etc. Worth a week if you go to eastern visayas/leyte.

#6 miriam123 has been a member since 19/7/2013. Posts: 28

Posted by migsaquino on 24/11/2014 at 06:13

You can either visit

a. Sabang, Puerto Galera OR

9484346193_fd8f6878e2_b.jpg

b. El Nido

13506521733_b620e9e426_b.jpg

#7 migsaquino has been a member since 12/7/2012. Posts: 15

Posted by travistravelgea on 7/1/2015 at 00:35

We all start out novices as novices in the world of travelling. But thanks to the extensive resource available on the Internet today, learning basic tips that will help us plan our dream vacations can be the difference between being able to recharge your batteries and enjoying the experience of visiting a new country or a whole lot more unwanted stress being dropped on your plate.

For experienced travellers, learning some of these tips in this article will have unfortunately come from falling victim of such variables while in foreign lands. So, take heed of the following information and it will hopefully contribute to making your trip as stress free as possible.

Never Exceed Baggage Limits

It’s imperative that you always research the baggage limitations of the airline you are travelling with. The last thing you want to contend with is being forced to incur charges due to your bag being a kilogram over the designated limited. Airlines in the U.S. alone made $3.5 billion in profit in 2013 from charging flyers due to excess luggage.

Don’t Be Fooled by Budget Airlines

Following on from baggage charges, many budget airlines have been exposed for adding extra charges onto their plane tickets. It has been revealed that they often earn meagre profits on budget flights as reported by The Economist. Be wary of charges such as infant taxes, seat reservation costs and booking fees where budget airlines try to increase their profit margins.

Pre-book Hotels

Only the most novice of travellers will go on a holiday and not pre-book their accommodation. It seems a trivial one but it happens all the time. You should also make sure to pre-book your accommodation approximately 8 weeks before you are set to stay at the hotel you want to stay at. During certain periods of the year such as Christmas time or during the summer months many notable hotels will be fully book so pre-booking is essential in order for you to confirm your stay there.

Always Book Travel from the Airport to the Hotel

There’s nothing more stressful that arriving at an airport and trying to navigate your way in a foreign land to a hotel that you’ve never been to before. When possible always try and book transfers through your hotel that will pick you up at the airport and take you directly to the hotel. It’s hassle free and it is usually a cost and time efficient means of travel.

Never Park Your Car in Independent

Arriving home from an arduous plane journey, the last thing you want is to get back to the airport and finding your car has been broken into. Always make sure you utilize the airport parking services in major airports as these will be police 24-hours a day and monitored via CCTV as per UK-based company Parking4Less. You’ll also find these sorts of parking services considerably cheaper that the independent options available. Again, it’s imperative that you pre-book like most of the variables on this list.

#8 travistravelgea has been a member since 20/12/2014. Posts: 9

Posted by magicFly on 7/1/2015 at 04:34

Beside this is a old thread I just want to add Bohol as diving destination on the Philippines.

@travistrave-Igea: Agree at point 1 and 2. Don't agree at the rest. Never done and will never do and I am still alive and travelling out there :)

#9 magicFly has been a member since 13/7/2014. Posts: 61

Posted by Paul999 on 8/1/2015 at 06:16

I second Coron

#10 Paul999 has been a member since 8/1/2015. Posts: 7

Posted by naxcissique on 8/1/2015 at 09:23

Coron and El Nido in Palawan, Philippines are your best bet. They have the best marine and terrestrial wildlife in the Luzon province. Start with Apo Reef at Coron.

Boracay, Aklan is very touristy. But it has gorgeous fine white-sand beaches visitors just love, and it's not too crowded during February. Be prepared for a little noise though. They have good dive sites - visit Yapak I and Crocodile Island. If you ever end up in Boracay, book at Bulabog Beach on the other side of the island - it's much more quiet, plus all the water sports and diver shops are congregated there.

Malapascua Island in Cebu has so many beautiful dive sites it's hard to pick one, but I'd recommend Monad Shoal for the thresher sharks.

#11 naxcissique has been a member since 8/1/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by comtam3000 on 19/1/2015 at 12:46

I spent some time in the eastern Visayas a few months ago, the diving was beautiful and not very touristy at all. Padre Burgos in southern Leyte is gorgeous and super quiet. I didn't make it to Bohol, but it's an easy ferry ride from southern Leyte and I've heard wonderful things about some of the dive sites. From Bohol you could make your way west to Dumaguete and Negros, both of which I've also heard great things about.

I definitely second Malapascua - it's absolutely gorgeous, and the threshers at Monad Shoal are breathtaking. Have a blast, the Philippines is a really special place.

#12 comtam3000 has been a member since 4/6/2014. Location: United States. Posts: 73

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.