Text page

Philippines

Philippines forum

3/4 weeks Philippines. Palawan and/or?

Posted by DicoR on 17/2/2015 at 21:45

Hi people

Me and my girlfriend are thinking about going to the Philippines somewhere in March. Currently we are in Laos and due to the crappy internet around here I cant do proper research for this trip. Thats why we need your help!

We probably have around 3/4 weeks to spend, 1000 euro's a month each, looking for some relaxation and snorkling if thats possible. We would like to avoid the high risk malaria areas(southern Palawan?)

Northern Palawan looks really nice, but spending 3/4 weeks there seems a bit much right? Do you have any other suggestions based on what I mentioned?

Thanks!

#1 DicoR has been a member since 28/8/2014. Posts: 9

Posted by redpirate427 on 22/2/2015 at 00:03

March is a good time to visit Philippines as it's just the start of the summer season so it's not yet too hot. You can easily spend all of your 3 or 4 weeks in northern Palawan alone (I once 'squandered' a week in El Nido), If you are looking for some relaxation and snorkeling, El Nido or Coron (which by the way is a 12-20 hour boat ride from El Nido, depending on vessel and sea conditions, or an hour's ride from Manila) is a good place to start. A thousand Euros can get you to other islands as well, like Cebu's Moalboal, Siquijor or Bohol - destinations that are ideal for beach bumming and snorkeling (blinding white sand beaches too!). These are all in central Philippines,and you can hop on and off via a combination of plane and ferry rides. Schools will be out in late March, and it's also the start of the peak season so if you are planning to explore you will have to do a bit of planning to book airplane seats early (Cebu Pacific and AirAsia are both budget carriers). There are also snorkeling spots in Masbate, Camiguin Island, and of course Boracay (which of course will be packed at this time of the year. If you want to stay in Palawan, however, Port Barton and San Vicente are all within a day trip from El Nido, and then you can go down to Puerto Princesa for an island hopping tour of Honda Bay or a visit to the Underground River.

#2 redpirate427 has been a member since 2/6/2014. Posts: 11

Posted by goonistik on 22/2/2015 at 09:32

Northern Palawan is a good destination for what you want.

I would add Apo Island and Dauin in Dumaguete for snorkeling.

#3 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563

Posted by magicFly on 22/2/2015 at 10:53

I just was 3 weeks at Palawan 2 months ago. I would say Palawan and Coron is a good destination for what you want. There are some nice beaches around El Nido and also the town itself is really nice. Not too touristy yet, but everything there you want to have for a few weeks of relaxation.

You can go on Island hopping tours, do snorkeling (altough not the best in the world), scuba dive, rent kayaks, scooters, camp on islands, relax on the beach or simply get drunk :). So I thinks thats enough. If you get bored you can go to Coron or explore other parts of Palawan. I spent 2 months in the Philippines and Palawan was the best spot for me.

#4 magicFly has been a member since 13/7/2014. Posts: 61

Posted by RachelQueen on 2/3/2015 at 03:34

How was your trip to Philippines? Did you have a great time?

#5 RachelQueen has been a member since 2/2/2015. Location: Italy. Posts: 7

Posted by linusyanez on 24/3/2015 at 20:31

I recommend these: Underground River Tour. Paddle-boat your way around the a part of the world's longest navigable river located at the Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park. Do some good caving action at Ugong Rock. Go on the Honda Bay Island Hopping Tour. Don't go island hopping in Honda Bay without snorkeling at Pambato Reef! Book a Day Trip to Dos Palmas Island Resort. Sail on a Paraw around Honda Bay or to the tip of Palawan! Get a high from the Dolphin Watching Tour. Swim with the Whale Sharks.

#6 linusyanez has been a member since 23/3/2015. Posts: 7

Posted by amandamcadams on 8/4/2015 at 20:29

If you're going to visit Phi Palawan is the best choice, there's a lot of fun things to do there like Island hopping at Honda Bay, Exploring the Underground River, Discovering El Nido or even Diving at Coron Bay. And regarding to your budget 1000 euros per month is enough.

#7 amandamcadams has been a member since 8/4/2015. Posts: 5

Posted by Wulligan on 18/5/2016 at 07:00

Just spent a month in the Philippines and for me, Palawan was the best part. I think you could easily spend 3 weeks.

I'd recommend:
- fly into Puerto Princesa: day trip to underground river, spend no more than 2 days
- port barton: small laid back beach town, spend 1 or 2 days
- toby and thelmas camping: this was a highlight for us, spend at least 3 nights
http://www.palawancamping.com/
- el nido: island hopping tours, tour C has the most snorkeling
- nacpan beach: an hour north of el nido. I only went for a day trip, but they have small huts on the beach where I wish I spent a few nights
- boat to el coron: they have multi-day trips out of el nido where you can camp at different islands along the way
- el coron: you can fly out of here

#8 Wulligan has been a member since 15/5/2016. Posts: 1

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.