Photo: A boat with your name on it, Coron, Busuanga Island.

Philippines forum

Travel warnings

Posted by Pogo on 1/8/2017 at 17:55

I'm travelling around east Asia in October and was intending to spend around 2 weeks in the Philippines however a lot of people have advised me along with online govt warnings that it is extremely unsafe to travel this year due to terrorist activity
Can anyone vouch for how much truth is behind the news and government warnings ?

#1 Pogo has been a member since 1/8/2017. Posts: 3

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by Johnexplo on 2/8/2017 at 06:38

it unsafe in some area but there are many places for travel like Bulgaria,Bosnia ,Cuba

#2 Johnexplo has been a member since 31/7/2017. Posts: 4

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Pogo on 2/8/2017 at 07:21

Sorry I meant specificially to the phillipines

#3 Pogo has been a member since 1/8/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by Pogo on 2/8/2017 at 07:21

Sorry I meant specificially to the phillipines

#4 Pogo has been a member since 1/8/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by Tars on 2/8/2017 at 22:00

I booked a flight to the Philippines (Cebu) too in September, I hope it will be safe :0!

#5 Tars has been a member since 25/7/2017. Posts: 4

Posted by muethj on 6/8/2017 at 19:52

I traveled there in 2012 immediately after similar warnings had been posted. Had a pleasant trip and never felt in any danger. I left Manila the same evening that I arrived and spent nearly all my time in places where I didn't see very many western tourists. For the most part the local people were friendly and helpful. My feeling is that terrorist groups target areas that are high profile (in order to gain maximum publicity) and /or are full of well heeled tourists who might bring a good ransom. I would avoid trouble spots like Mindanao and the larger more well know resorts. Other than that observe the same precautions that you would use in any third world country. As in most places I travel I did homestays for most of my trip to the Philippines. It is economical but more importantly you meet local people and have a more authentic experience of the place. Your hosts are also invaluable for pointing you to inexpensive places to eat, local attractions that aren't in guide books and explaining the local transportation system. I enjoyed my trip and plan to return.

#6 muethj has been a member since 25/10/2014. Posts: 1
 Send muethj a private message   Where has muethj been? 

Posted by Jagman on 30/8/2017 at 01:00

I'll be making my 13th trip in 6 years to the Philippines in October and my 14th in January. Never have I felt threatened in any way. I've been as far as Illocos Norte in Northern Luzon and south to Davao on Mindanao. I've never been treated with anything but kindness...(Ok, indifference as well) My last few trips have been centered on Cebu, I always enjoy going back and can say if you are so inclined, give it a try. If you are a beach person, do a little research, there are 1000's.

#7 Jagman has been a member since 20/1/2017. Posts: 5

Posted by cardkleener on 25/9/2017 at 17:57

I've been all over the Philippines including Davao and Zamboanga. I never felt unsafe. Just be aware of your surroundings. Research on sites of where not to travel too and then research that information.

#8 cardkleener has been a member since 2/6/2013. Location: Canada. Posts: 12
 Send cardkleener a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.