Photo: On the road to Pindaya.

Cameras and travel photography forum

New Camera

Posted by keentraveller12 on 16/8/2013 at 12:00

Im going travelling in February next year to south east asia and im in desperate need for a new camera.

The main things i will be using the camera for are:

Underwater photos/videos
General photos and videos

Can anyone reccomend me a good camera to purchase my budget is around £200-300 pounds.
p.s. i heard the olympus tough tg-2 is good....

#1 keentraveller12 has been a member since 9/8/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by goonistik on 16/8/2013 at 21:30

How deep underwater do you need the camera to go? There are some cameras that are waterproof down to about 2-3 meters but some cameras like the Oly TG-2 can go deeper. Assuming you need a camera that can go deeper than 2-3 meters, the Olympus TG-2 and the Panasonic Lumix TS5 are your best bets.

In addition, you'd need to check the buoyancy of the camera because you might need to buy a foam strap to keep the camera from sinking in case you let go of it.

#2 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by Alicebackpacker on 18/8/2013 at 05:25

The Lumix FT4 by Panasonic goes 12m underwater, I haven't tried it yet but its a really good camera otherwise for taking nice travel photos and also includes panorama.

#3 Alicebackpacker has been a member since 18/8/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by freiburger on 20/8/2013 at 05:04

Depends on what extras you wann ahsve on your cam.

I own the Fuji XP200 for snorkling and scuba diving ( up to 15 m waterproof). Great cam, looks really cool in yellow and the pics are OK. It is an outdoor cam and good to handle underwater.

Else you can have a look at the little better, little older but with GPS and compass equipped Nikon AW110. The pictures are better but maybe a little harder to use, especially underwater. But it makes better pics than the XP200 and it has GPS.

The reason I bought the Fuji is, that I have a pocket camera for normal use and only use the XP200 for scuba and snorkling. The main features of the camera can be operated even when wearing diving gloves.

#4 freiburger has been a member since 27/12/2012. Posts: 125
 Send freiburger a private message 

Posted by raygun on 25/1/2014 at 04:24

I've used some waterproof/shockproof compact cameras before, but these days I'd instead be looking at a GoPro or a GoPro knockoff on ebay.

#5 raygun has been a member since 25/1/2014. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.