Photo: On the road to Pindaya.

Cameras and travel photography forum

Is it worth buying a camera in the airport?

Posted by Ashe88 on 1/1/2008 at 08:46

Hi Guys,
I will be flying through Singapore on my way to Vietnam & Cambodia and I was wondering if it was worth it to hold out and buy a camera in my 4 hr stop-over at Changi airport rather than buying at home here in Aust?
Thanks

#1 Ashe88 has been a member since 19/11/2007. Posts: 24

Posted by somtam2000 on 2/1/2008 at 18:32 admin

I'm not sure -- I guess it would depend on the kind of camera you're after. It's also worth noting that Duty free isn't always the bargain you'd think -- TravelHappy has a good story on buying a camera in Bangkok -- while you're not going there, is may be of use for background info.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,568
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by roundEath on 9/1/2008 at 08:49

Ashee88, The cameras at Changi airport are not much different in price to what you can get back here in Oz. In fact, not much is. There's no competition amongst shops at the airport and hence no incentive for any of the shops to price their cameras down. It's only worth buying in Singapore if you buy it in areas where there are many shops selling the same thing and clustered together - that's when you can really bring the price down by pitting one store against another.

This goes for just about anything else anyone is considering buying. Duty free at the airport is just that - 'free of duty'. It's NOT the same as 'lower than recommended retail price'! Buy in town, it is cheaper if you know where to go and how to beat the price down. However, when it comes to liquor, if I am not mistaken, there is still the push by Changi Airport to be the place where you can get the cheapest liquor in the world - by how much is another story.

Also, if you do get into town and buy stuff, unless you have very deep pockets to be able to buy thousands of dollars of items *and* from select shops, you CANNOT get the duty back on the goods you buy.

Cheers.

#3 roundEath has been a member since 9/1/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by Ashe88 on 9/1/2008 at 09:07

Hi,
somtam & roundEath - you've been instrumental in me proving my brother wrong. Many Thanks! I think we'll buy a camra in Aust before we leave now

#4 Ashe88 has been a member since 19/11/2007. Posts: 24

Posted by footprints on 21/1/2008 at 21:31

nah.. i dont think is worth buying at the airport if u r going to the city.. prices are can be much cheaper.. try Audio House at liang court, great place for tourist, no worries of being cheated as they are awarded with excellence service by singapore tourism board.

#5 footprints has been a member since 21/1/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by jess_25 on 8/9/2012 at 11:48

Hi Ashe88,

You did the right thing of buying a camera first there in Aust before leaving. At least you can use the warranty if a problem with the camera comes up and I'm pretty sure you'll have it at cheaper cost since most of the gadgets in the airport are more expensive.

#6 jess_25 has been a member since 10/8/2012. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.