Photo: On the road to Pindaya.

Cameras and travel photography forum

Cameras Mobiles Digital Gear risk ?

Posted by henricartier on 16/3/2008 at 21:25

Does anyone know the range of mobiles phones in Thailand? Or just a bait for thieves? (best to leave the mobile home?) So, we leave home with laptop, mobile phone/digital camera etc. which all must shout 'tourist' beware/ valuables/lock up back packs/ leave nothing in rooms etc. that's why you have insurance . Dohhhh! Yeah right. ( I saw a guy get his arm slashed as an enterprising passenger thief on a motorcycle rode by, cut through the tourists' shoulder bag strap with a hunting knife and escaped with his bounty leaving the tourist bleeding on the sidewalk) Sure- travel is not without risk - calculate this risk - must have information + common sense. So I'm asking: What are your experience in Northern Thailand as I will be there (Chiang Mai and surrounds) - very soon, Any feedback would be helpful.

#1 henricartier has been a member since 14/3/2008. Posts: 12

Posted by khunwilko on 17/3/2008 at 10:39

Take what you like and don't believe the paranoid rumours of other countries.

Petty crime rates are probably lower than in your home country.

Mobiles are a MUST.......get it unblocked and buy a Thai SIM card (50 baht) - cheap calls and contact all your new travelling friends. if it is small enough to fit into a safe or buy a security cable.....cameras of course......I suppose if you intend to walk down the road with your room number painted on your back waving your possessions around and shouting "Look what I got!" you might need to take a reality check....but otherwise the only thing you need to think about is weight.

#2 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by lauraskrink on 17/3/2008 at 14:03

I'd agree with the above post! I'd heard the rumours but haven;t heard of anything like that actually happening out here yet! Think they are a but of an urban legend.

Mobiles are pretty useful, particularly if you buy a Thai sim which are really cheap!

We haven;t boght a laptop as internet access is everywhere and there isn't always Wifi! But if you want to bring for photos etc it isn;t a bad idea! We've been in SEA 9 weeks now and as yet the only theft we have heard of from anyone is the usual wallet pick-pocketing in the islands!

DOn't worry about, get soe travel insurance in case the worst happens and enjoy!

#3 lauraskrink has been a member since 20/9/2007. Posts: 7

Posted by ChangFai on 17/3/2008 at 18:22

The snatch and grab from motorcycles is rife in some parts of Thailand , but 99% of the time its for gold .

Dont be flash !

#4 ChangFai has been a member since 10/4/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 139

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.