Photo: On the road to Pindaya.

Cameras and travel photography forum

Cheap Cameras in SE Asia

Posted by Drapes1 on 22/2/2010 at 17:43

Posted from within Vietnam.

My girlfriend lost her camera in Bangkok and we're wondering where you can buy a good quality camera in SE Asia for a decent price. Not looking for a SLR camera or anything, just a normal digital camera. We've had a look in Laos and Vietnam but they're surprisingly expensive. Any ideas?

#1 Drapes1 has been a member since 13/1/2010. Posts: 7

Posted by Tilapia on 24/2/2010 at 04:08

Hi Drapes,

I don't think that you're going to find a great price for anything decent. At least, not for much less than what you would pay almost anywhere else. I've found that prices are fairly standard regardless of where you buy them. I'm guessing that your best bet would be in Bangkok.

You might want to try ordering one off of, or another shopping site. There are usually some good deals and often, depending on where you are, free shipping. Plus, packages usually arrive pretty fast. Likely a lot faster than the time you'd be spending shopping for one. I have friends in Bangkok, Lopburi, and Vientiane who order from Amazon all the time with no problems. You can have packages sent to the main post office (poste restante) or to a guest house.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,505
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by Indoluso on 24/2/2010 at 04:27

Depending on what you're ordering you might have to pay a lot of taxes, at least it's what happens if a european orders other things than books, cd's or dvd's from the american amazon. As electronics are alot cheaper in the US, customs back in Europe charge all the money you'd have saved. This applies also for 2nd hand electronics.

The question is to know if in SE Asia they also charge taxes or not.

#3 Indoluso has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 133

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.