Photo: At the Lee Kong Chian Museum.

Singapore forum

place to shop in Singapore

Posted by almira on 27/6/2010 at 11:09

hi, i will be heading to SG this july and i would like to know where the best place to shop. i don't really shop for branded and expensive clothes. i look for affordable and in-fashion clothes. anyone know a place, drop a line. thanks! :)

#1 almira has been a member since 27/6/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by idreamofdurian on 28/6/2010 at 01:47 TF writer

Try these:

- Far East Plaza for trendy fashion and accessories, lots of Japanese and Korean street-style stuff here
- Bugis Junction has the usual mall shops, but also some small boutiques and kiosks selling locally-made stuff and it's right beside Bugis Market where you can get cheap, trendy tshirts for $10 SGD
- "This Fashion" is a popular Singapore chain selling really cheap but trendy Chinese clothes for women. They have locations all over the city (often near subway stations!) but the biggest one is at the end of Orchard Road near Doby Ghaut MRT station.

#2 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by peter007 on 6/10/2010 at 13:43

Well, in my opinion dozen malls and shopping complexes are crammed into a few short blocks of shopping district here. You'll find top shelf fashions at Tangs; department stores like Robinsons & Co. at Centerpoint. Specially the Mustafa centre at serangoon rd. why?? because they have almost everything there and at really reasonable prices. Good luck dear!!!!

#3 peter007 has been a member since 2/9/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by piranha on 4/12/2010 at 18:08

what about the electronics.

#4 piranha has been a member since 3/12/2010. Posts: 18

Posted by piranha on 8/12/2010 at 20:15

almira what you like to do apart from shopping.

#5 piranha has been a member since 3/12/2010. Posts: 18

Posted by Ryvyan on 24/4/2011 at 20:56

Be careful when you buy electronic goods at Sim Lim Square. Plenty of scams happening to tourists so do your homework before you attempt going in there.

I'm Singaporean and would rely on a friend who knows the place well before attempting to bargain over there.

#6 Ryvyan has been a member since 24/4/2011. Posts: 4
 Send Ryvyan a private message 

Posted by lovetravel123 on 23/5/2012 at 22:53

For more affordable clothings I suggest: Far East Plaza and Bugis Village. Best to visit singapore during our Great Singapore Sale (GSS) as discounted items are up to 80%.

#7 lovetravel123 has been a member since 1/12/2011. Posts: 5

Posted by michaelmark on 6/6/2012 at 02:56

The Shopping places in Singapore range from big shopping malls, departmental stores to street side shops, street markets and small shops and stalls. The big shopping malls you can negotiate with the prices but in small shops yes you can. Try to visit Orchard Road & Bugis Village for happy shopping :)

#8 michaelmark has been a member since 1/6/2012. Posts: 4

Posted by jems28 on 20/7/2012 at 04:23

There are many shops but these are very expensive.
Thanx

#9 jems28 has been a member since 19/7/2012. Posts: 4

Posted by SEADragon on 15/12/2012 at 00:01

Compared to other countries in the region, Singapore is probably not the best place to shop if you are looking for clothes. The prices are significantly higher (like 10x) what you can find in the surrounding countries. I also find that althought there are many luxury brands and shops, it is quite difficult to find something trendy, of good quality at the reasonable price.
The only good part is that the GST is only 7%.

Regarding electronics, check the prices, I found that the Apple products are much cheaper in Malaysia thanks to the Apple exchanges rates policy and tax rates. If you plan to shop in Singapore and don't want to take too much risk you can go to Funan Mall. It's "easier" than Sim Lim and you will find plenty of cameras and other electronics for a reasonable price. Happy shopping.

#10 SEADragon has been a member since 14/12/2012. Posts: 11

Posted by robinwhite on 15/1/2013 at 17:36

For shopping, Singapore is not a best place. I mostly try to prefer online shop because they provide equal rates for all countries and home delivery and many more services.

#11 robinwhite has been a member since 9/1/2013. Posts: 18

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.