Photo: At the Lee Kong Chian Museum.

Singapore forum

Public transport / taxis on new years day

Posted by sanpedro on 16/8/2010 at 12:59

I'm stopping over in Singapore 30 Dec 2010 and leaving on a 6am flight 1 Jan 2011.

I'm planning to stay in the City e.g. Little India, and had overestimated the efficency of the MRT I assumed that trains to the airport would start running early enough to catch a 6am flight.

I know that trying to get a taxi on NYE in Australia is really difficult as it is a big celebration.
How busy is NYE in Singapore?

I can see some mentions of an airport shuttle bus on Changi Airport site but no details about whether its 24 hrs?

#1 sanpedro has been a member since 29/9/2009. Posts: 10

Posted by arundown on 3/9/2010 at 09:57

If you wanna be in the heart of NYE party then u gotta head to Marina bay/Orchard/cityhall
but MRT in Singapore start around 5.30 am .I aint sure what time they have planned to start on the newyear but def late trains going around city area.

Since ure flight is at 6 am i dun think u can catch up the first mrt to e airport which gonna take u abt 40 mins stick wit e air port or else try callin a taxi around 4 am :)

#2 arundown has been a member since 1/6/2010. Location: Singapore. Posts: 49
 Send arundown a private message 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 3/9/2010 at 10:56 TF writer

As you discovered, a 6 AM flight is too early for the MRT. The airport buses are also public transportation, so also not an option that early in the morning. So you're limited to taxis.

It will likely be hard to flag down a taxi on the street on NYE, but if you make an advance booking for a taxi then you'll have no problem at all. Note that there's an additional $5.20 SGD fee for an advance booking (or $3.50 for a "current booking" - calling less than 30 min from when you want to be picked up). *Also*, there's a 50% surcharge on fares between 12 AM - 6 AM...

#3 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.