Photo: At the Lee Kong Chian Museum.

Singapore forum

Singapore Onward Travel Proof

Posted by mooball on 29/4/2011 at 13:03 TF writer

I'll be entering Singapore in June from Australia on Jetstar. I understand that there is an official requirement for people entering Singapore to have proof of an onward journey as is the case with many countries. However, I also understand that immigration officials in Singapore don't check for proof of onward travel. My question is, do Jetstar in Australia check for proof of onward travel?

I called Jetstar and they told me there is no requirement at checkin to prove that you have onward travel booked, but I'm skeptical. I was just going to book a cheap air asia ticket out of Singapore, but with all the airport taxes, it comes out at over $60 and I'd rather just know what the real situation is!

Does anyone have experience with this?

#1 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 435
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/5/2011 at 05:24 admin

Better late than never :-)

I was in Singapore a couple of days ok, flew from Bali both ways with Jetstar. At no time was I asked for any information regarding onwards tickets. Oddly on the return leg, a Japanese woman at the next desk was grilled regarding a return ticket from Bali, while me, not having one, wasn't even asked.

At the end of the day, it is pretty random. Loads of people leave Singapore daily by the land crossings -- if I was you, and this came up, I'd just say I was leaving overland as a part of your overland trip to Uganda.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by fox80 on 20/5/2011 at 11:02

Hello,
We flew from Darwin to Singapore with Jetstar in March and had no problem. I was also looking at this issue and hesitating weather to book a 'cheap' plane ticket from Sing to somewhere in Asia just in case to show it as a proof of onward travel. Eventually we decided not to bother as the 'cheap' wasnt so cheap after all (you can get a ticket for $10 but with taxes it would cost you at least $30 and for two peaple it wasnt worth it). I had a laptop with me at the airport so when checking it I was mentally prepared to book a ticket quickly in case they didnt allow us to board the plane. But it went smoothly. HTH

#3 fox80 has been a member since 12/2/2010. Posts: 22

Posted by mooball on 22/5/2011 at 18:54 TF writer

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll roll up without an onward ticket, although I will have the backup of buying a train ticket from Singapore to JB on the spot at the airport if things get out of hand.

#4 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 435
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by ryley on 9/6/2011 at 12:59

First of all you need to inquire about what are the facilities they are offering any discounts,and any other offers and etc..,

#5 ryley has been a member since 19/5/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by mooball on 21/6/2011 at 18:47 TF writer

Just as a follow up, I arrived in Singapore a couple of days ago. At checkin, I was required to provide proof of onward travel despite the call centre telling me in wasn't required. They were quite relaxed though and my itinerary showing a flight out of Malaysia was good enough proof that I was going to be leaving Singapore. My advice would be to always have some sort of ticket booked to somewhere else and the problem will go away.

#6 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 435

Posted by judymae on 8/4/2013 at 05:52

Guys, I need help on this one. I will be travelling to Sydney via Jetstar, then from Sydney- Darwin- Singapore, then Singapore- Manila. I am Philippine passport holder. I have a valid visa in australia, and from what I read from singapore website, i am allowed to stay in singapore for up to 3 mos. I wanna know whether

1.I would have difficulties when boarding my flight from auckland nz- sydney with an onward ticket to singapore, and not a return ticket to nz? I am a permanent resient of nz.
2. and whether i would have problems boarding a flight from darwin- singapore? i have proof of onward flight from singapore to manila, and hotel booking in singapore.please help as i am confused about this one. any input would be great...

#7 judymae has been a member since 8/4/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by mooball on 8/4/2013 at 08:14 TF writer

Well, you have tickets all the way back to the country which you have a passport for, so no problems. But you will need a visa for Australia.

#8 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 435

Posted by judymae on 8/4/2013 at 16:19

yes i have a visa for australia, and my flight is from nz to sydney. my worryis that jetstar wont let me board from nz to australia because my onward flight is to singapore from australia. however i am enttitled to stay in singapore for up to 3 mos as philippine citizen. and i have onward flight from singapore to manila philippines. thanks much for thereply;)

#9 judymae has been a member since 8/4/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by manishmtmt on 14/7/2014 at 14:38

I was once not allowed to check-in for a flight from Australia to New Zealand because I didn’t have a valid flight out of NZ. I had to buy a full-fare ticket from NZ to Fiji on the spot (that was the cheapest one available) just to get on the plane.And once I was in New Zealand, I wasn’t even allowed to cancel the onward ticket without providing proof of a different onward ticket!

#10 manishmtmt has been a member since 14/7/2014. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.