Photo: At the Lee Kong Chian Museum.

Singapore forum

Xanax into Singapore

Posted by SaltwaterGem on 27/1/2013 at 23:49

I've been using this site for my trip and its been great thus far... Another question for you

I'm flying into Singapore, staying for a few days, then leaving to fly home. My doctor gave me Xanax because I have a serious fear of flying. Singapore has notorious anti drug laws and I'm scared of getting into big trouble over this little matter. I was told I should bring a signed doctors script but I don't have this... Just the normal prescription bottle that it came in. Any suggestions on how I should play this?

#1 SaltwaterGem has been a member since 4/1/2013. Posts: 22

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/1/2013 at 03:14 admin

Ahhhh, Personally I wouldn't be worried -- it's not like a bottle of 6,000 pills is it? ;-) I'd be inclined to not hide it, just keep them in your toiletries bag and if they pick you up on it explain the situation and if it is a problem (and I'm not sure that it even would be) they'd confiscate them.

To be honest though, I'm not sure if Xanax is even an issue in Sg -- have belled our SG researcher and will report back.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by SaltwaterGem on 28/1/2013 at 03:17

Thanks Somtam! You've been on the spot for every one of my inquiries. I'm doing a fairly 'typical' slew of stops on my trip but even so Ill be sure to share a trip report at the end of this thing

#3 SaltwaterGem has been a member since 4/1/2013. Posts: 22

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/1/2013 at 04:34 admin

Ok asked our Sg writer and she said as long as is in a prescription bottle, shouldn't be an issue. If you're really worried keep your doc's number so they can call for confirmation.

Hope that helps - glad you're finding the site useful -- tell your friends :)

Cheers

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Kananga on 4/2/2013 at 01:02

I've been bringing valium and xanax into Singapore for years now and had it prescribed in Singapore too. So if you have it in a prescription bottle you will be fine.

#5 Kananga has been a member since 25/4/2005. Location: Thailand. Posts: 34

Posted by Konspiracy on 23/3/2016 at 15:36

I'm travelling to Malaysia for 3 weeks & also visiting Singapore for a couple of days. I've been on Diazepam & Codeine Phosphate for over 20 years so obviously I have a physical addiction to the medicines. I've been taking it in small doses from my Dr for 20 years+. I never go anywhere without either medicine so am worried about visiting Malaysia/Singapore. We have relatives in KL & I've been maybe 4 times previously with no problems. If I were to lose the medicine would I be able to get some more if required? I'm nearly 60 now & my health isn't the best. I take other heart related medicine too. Which authority could give me advice as being thousands of miles from home without medication would be impossible for me. I wild have to return home ASAP without it.
Any help much appreciated.

#6 Konspiracy has been a member since 23/3/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by antoniamitchell on 23/3/2016 at 23:32

Hi Konspiracy,

As long as the medication is in a proper, labelled container (one with the prescription sticker from the dispensing pharmacy on the outside), and is only a small amount (so obviously for personal use, not distribution), you shouldn't have any problems.

Singapore's rules about bringing in personal medication, for example, state that you can bring up to a three month supply for your own use, as long as it's properly labelled.

If you're worried, get your GP to write you a new prescription, and carry that unused prescription script with you as well, so you've got further proof if anyone asks that yes, these are your legitimate medicines that your doctor has prescribed for you (and will help smooth the way to getting more, if you were to lose your meds somehow). But like I said, you really won't have any problems with a small amount.

Have a great trip,

#7 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: Singapore. Posts: 499
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.