Photo: At the Lee Kong Chian Museum.

Singapore forum

Stay in Singapore

Posted by LauraAndLee1 on 6/3/2013 at 15:53

Me and my girlfriend are travelling around Thailand, Vietnam, then onto Singapore. We weren't planning on staying in Singapore very long as we have done our research and it seems very expensive. Would you give any advice on the best places to go and stay on a budget in Singapore.?

#1 LauraAndLee1 has been a member since 11/11/2012. Posts: 5

Posted by antoniamitchell on 9/3/2013 at 02:13

There's lots of cheap dorm options in Singapore's Little India - have a look around this site and you'll find lots of info, including a recent roundup on the Singapore section of the blog.

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: Singapore. Posts: 492
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by ragbird on 17/3/2013 at 22:48

Are u thinking hotels or hostels? Bugis, Little India area has most of the hostels. U can get good ones, mid range and really crappy ones -- budgeted accordingly. It's a pretty central place to stay but outside the expensive areas of the city. Cheap food etc not a problem at all. There are some in Lavender also if u want to be a little further out.

#3 ragbird has been a member since 3/3/2013. Posts: 12

Posted by johnno on 20/3/2013 at 01:30

In singapore, i found that by spending a little extra for hotels, you can easily escape the discomfort of a dorm environment. For example, a nice so called "capsule" dorm such as the Wink hostel would cost around S$35 per person. Ok x2 plus S$10-15 and you have a budget for value hotels like Hotel81 chain or the Fragrance. Out of all the Hotel 81 chains, i found that Hotel 81 tristar was the cleanest and had the best service. Hotel 81 dickson is closer to the city. So in summary - sleep in dorms if your budget's really low. Just don't expect a good nite's sleep. If you want a good nite's sleep and hygiene, spend upto $80-90 per room for a value hotel. PS: don't rely on tripsadvisor.com!!! I've been done by them as they use the dodgy "average" ranking system, not a median one. A hotel's ranking might be easily biased by few really dishonest reviews. Make sure the hotel has lots of reviews (>100) to get a better picture. I tend to use both agoda.com and tripadvisor.com to see if the reviews are congruent as agoda.com tend to have much more reviewees.

#4 johnno has been a member since 18/12/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by jameswoods11x on 24/8/2013 at 04:13

hello very informative posts for me i was also looking for some fine and affordable accomodations.

#5 jameswoods11x has been a member since 26/7/2013. Posts: 11

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 26/8/2013 at 11:04

Singapore is an ok city but it's western prices and really it's not that special or anything. Little India is a rather smelly place. China town is no better than any China town elsewhere. The Zoo is good and Boogie markets are ok but if you are looking for culturally interesting experiences fly to Bangkok. BKK hotels are half the price of Singapore plus food and drinks are much cheaper.

#6 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by PeterMFL on 21/9/2013 at 03:47

I awesome located budget hotel is Robertson Quay Hotel. Very small room and the water comes out of the shower BUT execellent location and awesome view especially if you ask for a room as high as possible with the window facing the river.
It's really cheap! walkable distance to Clarke Quay but it IS a BUDGET hotel.

If you need anymore information or even pictures on this place let me know I'll dig through my photos :)

#7 PeterMFL has been a member since 21/9/2013. Posts: 16
 Website   Facebook    Google+ 

Posted by boxee on 11/11/2013 at 00:46

hotel 81 and fragrance are both cheap hotels in singapore , but be warned the rooms are small not always clean , and both these chains hire the rooms by the hour for the working girls ,

food is always cheap in singapore , just go to the local hawker centers where u will find cheap food (and beer )

if you like drinking but are on a budget start early , many bars will do happy hours or buy one get one free ,

is there any reason that you want to come to singapore for , i live here but i would not really say there is much here for the traveler, unless thay are just waiting for a connecting flight out , your money will be much better spent staying longer in thailand or vietnam

danny

#8 boxee has been a member since 26/3/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 131

Posted by neilmason on 23/11/2013 at 19:29

I've never had any problems with Hotel 81s in Geylang, they've always been clean. I've found the best rates are through asiatravel.com but I don't claim to know every booking website.

#9 neilmason has been a member since 31/12/2012. Posts: 39

Posted by stever1000 on 4/12/2013 at 05:57

Ill be in Malaysia and I was wondering if its worth flying into Singapore to check out the food and some of the free/budget attractions?
Is the food really as good as people say?

#10 stever1000 has been a member since 7/1/2013. Posts: 28

Posted by neilmason on 8/12/2013 at 14:42

In my opinion the food is just as good in Malaysia but cheaper. If you're after a true gourmet experience and are not on a budget Singapore might be better.

#11 neilmason has been a member since 31/12/2012. Posts: 39

Posted by boxee on 8/12/2013 at 21:22

@stever , i would say no it is not worth it , if all you want to do is look at the budget attractions (there are not that many )
the food is good at the lower end but not worth flying here for
now as neil said if you have some money to spend on so top end food then it is worth it
if you like to drink and party here things can get very expensive

danny

#12 boxee has been a member since 26/3/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 131

Posted by neilmason on 8/12/2013 at 21:38

If you're anywhere near the south of Malaysia it might be worth considering staying in Johor Bahru. It's really cleaned up its act recently and Meldrum Walk is quite pleasant, and there's good cheap hotels there. Many locals travel from Singapore for seafood meals at the weekends, and it's quite a good base to have a couple of daytrips into S/pore for the museums etc.

#13 neilmason has been a member since 31/12/2012. Posts: 39

Posted by boxee on 8/12/2013 at 21:49

@neil is the crime rate in JB still high , i live in Singapore but only once have i been into johor bahru
just 2 months ago i had a friend drive into JB and when stuck at the traffic lights a bike pulled up smashed her window and grabbed her bag

danny

#14 boxee has been a member since 26/3/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 131

Posted by neilmason on 9/12/2013 at 01:02

I wouldn't ever claim my advice was better than that of a local! But it does seem to me that central JB is safer than it used to be. Care is needed in lots of places, of course, and I'm hearing that Bukit Bintang area of KL is having an increase in this sort of crime.

#15 neilmason has been a member since 31/12/2012. Posts: 39

Posted by ongjoel on 9/12/2013 at 03:03

Yes, I agree with you, Singapore living is not cheap, it is so expensive for a dynamic and bustling city. For me the best place to stay is the budget areas. Definitely your concern is where to stay in Singapore on a budget. Hotel 81 and Fragrance Hotel are often known as popular budget hostel in Singapore. Last time we stayed there, price just $28/ night for a double or single room, but I do not know what is change now. Both dotted at budget areas of Singapore. They are also infamous ‘short-stay’ hotels so best to ask for a quiet floor. or backpackers places also not a bad idea. Have fun

#16 ongjoel has been a member since 6/12/2013. Location: Singapore. Posts: 17
 Where has ongjoel been? 

Posted by parveen7 on 19/12/2013 at 01:55

Thanks for sharing the information. It helped me also..

#17 parveen7 has been a member since 11/12/2013. Posts: 23

Posted by Terry001 on 14/1/2014 at 23:56

Very nice post i like it. Robertson Quay Hotel is best in singapore and there location also best.

#18 Terry001 has been a member since 10/1/2014. Posts: 18

Posted by CathyWeed on 28/1/2014 at 01:56

Hi, you can have a tour at the Universal Studio in Singapore, ride in a cable car, or visit Changi Museum War Trail. You can stay in Hotel 81.

#19 CathyWeed has been a member since 22/1/2014. Posts: 7

Posted by Leadr1 on 9/4/2014 at 06:40

Must go to some of these things:

1) China town
2) The arts scene
3) The Singapore skyline

#20 Leadr1 has been a member since 9/4/2014. Posts: 7

Posted by Terry001 on 28/4/2014 at 06:30

Staying in Singapore is expensive. Period. Budget travellers have it best, as hostel rooms can be had for $20 a night. Most midrange hotels are more about location than quality.

#21 Terry001 has been a member since 10/1/2014. Posts: 18

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.