Photo: At the Lee Kong Chian Museum.

Singapore forum

Local feeling (Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore)

Posted by gerardoBCN on 6/5/2013 at 11:31

Hi all,
I'm planning to visit Singapore for the second time next november. I would like to know the local lifestile and share some time with local people. I will try rent a bedroom in sites like Airbnb or Wimdu insted of going to hostels so I can meet local people and families. Do you have more recomendations? Is there a site or anything to meet local people or do local activities? When in rome.... I'm tring to get the local experience as much as possible. I'm planing to visit also Thailand and Malaysia e so I will put a similar post in that forum. Any help or idea is welcome!!
Thanks!
Cheers,

#1 gerardoBCN has been a member since 6/5/2013. Posts: 6

Posted by Geer1 on 6/5/2013 at 11:48

Check out couch surfing, it is a website where people let you come stay with them for a short period of time. I have never done it but will probably give it a try on one of my next trips as it seems like it would be a great way to meet people.

#2 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by exacto on 6/5/2013 at 13:29

What about eating at the food courts? Particularly in Singapore and Thailand, visit the food courts in some of the popular shopping centers. I don't know if you'll get to start many conversations with locals, but you'll at least get to experience food and the dining experience the local way.

In Bangkok, head up to the Victory Monument area for snacks and a beer.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,650
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by gerardoBCN on 8/5/2013 at 01:44

Thank you both! I'm trying to use couchsurfing indeed. It's a great option to meet and share with local people.
Any other recomendation?
Cheers!

#4 gerardoBCN has been a member since 6/5/2013. Posts: 6

Posted by MADMAC on 8/5/2013 at 02:04

Gerardo
I posted up on your like thread in the Thai section.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by gerardoBCN on 8/5/2013 at 06:05

Thanks Madmac!
Cheers

#6 gerardoBCN has been a member since 6/5/2013. Posts: 6

Posted by Terry001 on 14/1/2014 at 23:58

Very Informative post.

#7 Terry001 has been a member since 10/1/2014. Posts: 18

Posted by zaero_an on 3/10/2014 at 04:53

Couchsurfing is if you stay a night there. Else sometimes I look for gatherings or meetups in the city. For Singapore and Malaysia, I like to use Globe Hop cause there are some unique and interesting recommendations from locals.

#8 zaero_an has been a member since 3/10/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by GattinaRosa on 11/10/2014 at 09:21

We recently stayed with a lovely local couple in Singapore and they took us to a couple of great places.

Newton Food Court is an outdoor food court (near Newton metro station) and serves a great range of food. You'll get a bit hassled as you go in by people trying to give you menus. But just find yourself a table and order food at the individual stalls after you've looked around. You pay when they bring your food over.

We also went prawning at Uncle Leongs, near Riveria station. Here, you rent a mini fishing rod for an hour to catch your own prawns. Then you can BBQ them for dinner. It was full of locals and lots of older guys who were more than happy to help us out and show us how its done.

We really enjoyed these places as we really got the opportunity to chat to locals.

#9 GattinaRosa has been a member since 28/7/2014. Posts: 18

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.