Photo: At the Lee Kong Chian Museum.

Singapore forum

Thailand or Indonesia?

Posted by Traveldelight88 on 17/9/2014 at 22:07

Hello there, newbie here,

Planning to have a short vacation to either Thailand or Indonesia on January2015. Any advice which one is better and affordable for 3-5 days stay? What attractions are not to be missed?

Thank you

#1 Traveldelight88 has been a member since 17/9/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by SBE on 18/9/2014 at 02:18

Thailand has better weather at that time of year, better transport infrastructure, and better food. Not to be missed attractions depend on what kind of things you like and you didn't mention your interests. Basing yourself in Bangkok would probably be the most time efficient solution for such a short visit. If you do a search I'm pretty sure TF has plenty of suggestions for things to do and see in and around Bangkok....you could see temples and markets and the like and maybe do a trip to Kanchanaburi or Ayutthaya if you want to get out of the city for a day. But you won't have much time. Do those 3-5 days include travelling to and from Singapore as well?

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,051
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by exacto on 18/9/2014 at 09:55

I like SBE's suggestion on the Bangkok/ Ayutthaya / Kanchanaburi triangle for a short visit. You could easily spend that time just in Bangkok alone (see the recent feature article on craft villages in Bangkok, for example). Ayutthaya has a wonderful UNESCO World Heritage Site area and a good traveller scene, and Kanchanaburi has history and outdoors stuff.

An alternative might be to pick a single point in Indonesia and try to catch a cheap flight to/from on Air Asia. Two obvious choices would be Yogyakarta and Bali (although I don't know what the weather is like that time of year). Yogyakarta is charming and largely a domestic getaway destination but with a good and inexpensive foreign traveller scene. There is great shopping and two worthwhile UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Bali has the beaches and temples and rice terraces and vacation vibe.

As SBE says, transport is better in Thailand, so if you tried to visit more than one place in Indonesia in such a short time, you'd spend far too much of that time getting there. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,753
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by antoniamitchell on 18/9/2014 at 12:18

Or, if Thailand appeals but a big city like Bangkok doesn't, you can also fly direct from Singapore to Phuket or Krabi, or Chaing Mai if you're into trekking.

#4 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 539
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by tmh0505 on 17/11/2014 at 02:34

you should choose sin because thailand remained unstable political

#5 tmh0505 has been a member since 17/11/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by emma33 on 17/11/2014 at 20:50

In terms of which is more affordable, I would say that they would be fairly similar. Indonesia may have slightly cheaper food, but it depends where you are. Bali and Thailand would be almost the same in terms of price.

I've been in Indonesia (Bali and Sumatra) in January and it tends to be a pattern where it rains for a few hours in the afternoon, then about once a week there might be a whole day of rain, then a couple of days of sunshine. So, it's not terrible, but the weather in Thailand would be better and more consistent.

In Indonesia you could spend a nice 3 days around Ubud in Bali (if you're into art and culture)...or on the beach at Kuta/Seminyak (if you are into the party/beach scene). In Thailand, as others have said, you could go Bangkok, or Chiang Mai (for countryside, food, temples and culture) or you could probably fly straight to Phuket and surrounding islands from SIN.

It really depends on what your interests are!

#6 emma33 has been a member since 16/11/2014. Posts: 9

Posted by wanderer143 on 3/11/2016 at 03:57

Both are wonderful, but I'd go for Thailand. I agree with the above comments with regards to weather consistency. I personally prefer the vibe in Thailand and the plethora to do and visit there.

#7 wanderer143 has been a member since 2/11/2014. Posts: 92

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.