Photo: At the Lee Kong Chian Museum.

Singapore forum

Using US ATM card in Singapore (non EMV chip)

Posted by janetyfoo on 24/6/2015 at 01:11

Hi,

I will be going to Singapore next week from the US. My ATM card does not have an EMV chip (it only has a magnetic strip). Will I be able to withdraw cash from ATMs there?

Thanks!

#1 janetyfoo has been a member since 24/6/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by neilmason on 25/7/2015 at 17:07

No, probably not. And you will have difficulty using it as a credit card in some businesses (but not all).

#2 neilmason has been a member since 31/12/2012. Posts: 45

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by savorygal on 25/7/2015 at 19:12

I was in Singapore a couple of months ago & had no problem using my US card with a magnetic strip at cash machines nor any problems using my credit card with merchants.

#3 savorygal has been a member since 16/7/2010. Posts: 173
 Send savorygal a private message   Website 

Posted by daawgon on 26/7/2015 at 13:51

I agree with savorygal - no problems at all, but a debit card would be much cheaper in the end. I use my Capital One (non-chip) card everywhere in SE Asia, but for cash from an ATM, I use my Visa debit card. Just be sure to notify your bank where you hold that card of your travels.

#4 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,146
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by MWasser6 on 28/7/2015 at 16:17

Yeah, I lived in Singapore for a year and used my US card all the time....it doesn't work at all banks but definitely will be accepted in large international institutions.

#5 MWasser6 has been a member since 6/8/2012. Posts: 19

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.