Photo: At the Lee Kong Chian Museum.

Singapore forum

Looking for advice - 10 days route starting at Singapore

Posted by ERS on 7/11/2016 at 10:23

Hi guys! I´m going one week to Singapore at the end of November because of work and I was thinking about using the opportunity and take a short vacation to visit the nearby countries. At most I could take 10 days (after that I have to go back to work) but I don´t really know which route should I plan and which transportation mean should I use (plane, bus, train...) Could you give me some advice on this?

I find specially interesting the Buddhist temples and I would like to visit Angkor Wat in Cambodia but the plane tickets from Singapore are quite expensive at this moment and I don´t know if going by train/bus would be a good idea as it would take several days just to get there.

Any recommendation or personal experience is well received. Thank you very much in advance.

#1 ERS has been a member since 7/11/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by exacto on 7/11/2016 at 12:34

A week to 10 days seems like a long time when you are planning, but it will go very quickly once you arrive in Southeast Asia. Because of that, I'd try to keep it simple and visit just one or maybe two places in addition to Singapore.

If flights from Singapore to Siem Reap for Angkor Wat are too expensive, you might try looking at flights in and out of Kuala Lumpur instead. It isn't too far from Singapore (by bus for example), and you could check out KL and sister city PJ while you are there.

You might also consider visiting Yogyakarta in Indonesia instead of Siem Reap. You'll find two spectacular UNESCO world heritage sites with restored ruins that rival those of Angkor Wat. The town of Yogyakarta is also interesting itself, and is a great place for textile shopping and other things. You might be able to catch cheap flights directly from Singapore, or use the same trick of popping up to Kuala Lumpur first for possibly a cheaper flight.

I hope that helps. Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,753
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by braylor on 13/11/2016 at 20:32

I will be in Singapore for this Xmas for 10 days and I'm planning to go to Malaysia - Kuala Lumpur at the very last days because it's just about 4 - 5 hours on bus to reach here. But I haven't planned what to see and what to do in Kuala Lumpur

#3 braylor has been a member since 26/9/2016. Posts: 13

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.