Photo: At the Lee Kong Chian Museum.

Singapore forum

Singapore to Bangkok by train...., mostly - possibly with stop offs.

Posted by sandyfreckle on 5/5/2017 at 22:14

Hi all. I would like to travel from Singapores to Bangkok..., mostly by train..., although buses are also possible.
I can travel as fast or as slow as I want..., and I'll be leaving Singapore in early June. I guess I'll need to swap trains at the Malaysia/Thai border and from there continue heading up to Bangkok.

I'd be interested to hear from other traveller who've been this way before..., what are your experiences, idea's and/or suggestions...., which trains might be better suited to overnight(sleeper) travel ?..., which trains travel through good scenery(so more suited to day travel) ? Are there sections of the Malay Peninsular that might better suited to bus travel ?

Plus, In Malaysia, what places along the way are worth having a stopover at ? ..., and what coastal places in Southern Thailand are also worth visiting?

Thank you.....,

#1 sandyfreckle has been a member since 9/11/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 12
 Send sandyfreckle a private message   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by daawgon on 7/5/2017 at 18:17

Posted from within Vietnam.

I took the 2nd class express from Bangkok to Butterworth 2 yrs ago - really nice train. I should have continued on to Singapore because Penang was not my cup of tea. Good luck. I hear Malacca is really nice (they can keep KL)!

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,146
 Send daawgon a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by amnicoll on 8/5/2017 at 05:23

I have done the whole trip as well as covering parts of the route on many other trips.

The big decision you need to make is weather you want to use the jungle railway through the middle of Malaysia or the one up the coast via KL , Malacca and Penang . If you want to do the jungle railway I would suggest that rather than take the train all the way you head up first to KL and then head across to Kuala Lipis by bus and catch the morning train. However much depends on what is of interest to you.

from Kota Baru you could cross straight into Thailand or get bus across to Penang and then into Thailand.

As far as Thailand goes my favorite journey (in the south) is the 3 or 4 hours or so between Sungai Kolok and Hat Yai as long as the train is reasonably on time. Sleepers in both countries are comfortable

see info from Man at Seat 61 for train travel in both countries

The only direct service all the way would be the Orient Express and that is not cheap!

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 873
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.