Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Travelling in Bangkok by Boat

Posted by asharian on 19/3/2010 at 12:00

Hi all,

Will be staying in Sukhumvit 3 and I noticed Saphan Nana Nua Pier is on the soi. Have been to BKK a few times, never travelled by water and am taking my partner who has never been before. She wants to go to Khao San and the canal the pier is on almost takes you directly there, can you get a boat over there?

#1 asharian has been a member since 19/3/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by wanderingcat on 19/3/2010 at 13:27

yes. Khlong Saen Saeb canal boat info at:

cheap & fast. though from the terminus at Phanfa Leela bridge to Khao San there's still some distance to walk (you can gauge from Google maps).

not sure when you're going - there have been rare times (in Sept monsoon) when the service was stopped for a while cos water level was too high for boats to pass beneath bridges. also, the red shirts set up their rally stage & filled the entire space at Phanfa Leela bridge over the last to check on latest news updates if you don't like crowds :)

#2 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Send wanderingcat a private message   Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by Thaiman on 20/3/2010 at 15:40

Could just get a Tuk Tuk from the pier to Khao San road.It's a good way to travel,on the canals, in Bangkok as you miss all the traffic.The downside is the polluted water.If you go the other way on the canal you can get to the Bangkapi Mall and have a look around.

#3 Thaiman has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 201
 Send Thaiman a private message 

Posted by asharian on 22/3/2010 at 12:42

Thanks for the advice, is greatly appreciated. Heading over in late April, so river level should be ok, and hopefully the situation has simmered down a little by the time I arrive.

#4 asharian has been a member since 19/3/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by joyesmith on 8/4/2010 at 21:36

Traveling in Bangkok

#5 joyesmith has been a member since 8/4/2010. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.