Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Itinerary Help - 5-6 Weeks in June (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia)

Posted by plew10 on 22/3/2010 at 02:09

Planning a 5-6 week trip to Thailand and a bit of Laos and Cambodia this June/July. Any thoughts/advice on this rough itinerary would be greatly appreciated! Any places where we should spend more/less time? Any places we'll be close to that we shouldn't miss? This is our first SE Asia trip so we want to get around and see as much as possible, but also have some time to relax and not be too rushed.

1-3: BKK (overnight train to Chiang Mai)
4-8: Chiang Mai
9-12: Chiang Dao (2 day trek)
13-15: Chiang Rai
16: Chiang Khong/Huay Xia (Lao immigration)
17-18: Slow boat to Luang Prabang
19-24: Luang Prabang (2 day trek/kayaking trip)
25-29: Siem Riep/Angkor (flight from Luang Prabang)
30: Siem Riep - BKK
31: BKK-Ko Tao
32-37: Ko Tao
38-39: BKK

#1 plew10 has been a member since 4/1/2010. Posts: 20

Posted by exacto on 22/3/2010 at 04:43

this looks like a well-constructed itinerary to me. i like how you've given yourself a few days in bangkok to settle in and get past jet lag, and a few days at the end for shopping, etc.

overnight train to chiang mai is fun, but they do fill up well in advance anymore, so you'll want to sort your train tickets before you arrive. the first class sleeper compartments are a real treat and well worth the extra money.

flying from luang prabang to siem reap solves a lot of logistics issues on an otherwise difficult trip. how much did that air ticket cost?

i think you've budgeted the right amount of time pretty much everywhere you are going, including chiang mai, luang prabang, and siem reap. you may want an extra day or two on the island, but five days should be pretty good. how did you plan to get from BKK to ko tao?

my only other comment is that three days in chiang rai might be alot. but if you enjoy renting a car or a scooter for a drive up to mae sai and the burma border and another drive into the mountains, that should be a fun time. have a great trip.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,650
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by caseyprich on 22/3/2010 at 07:28

i've gotta give a shout out to Pooh Eco Travel for a great hill tribe hike - but the one we really enjoyed was a two night expedition. much farther off the beaten path than the usual ride and elephant and take a bamboo raft down the river shtick. http://www.pooh-ecotrekking.com/

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by plew10 on 28/3/2010 at 01:13

Many thanks for the response, exacto. I found LP - Siem Reap airfare for something like $220/each on Lao Airlines. Pricey, but as you said, will solve some of the logistical issues of getting to Siem Reap. And we're planning on the train/bus - ferry combo for transport from BKK to Ko Tao. Thanks again!

#4 plew10 has been a member since 4/1/2010. Posts: 20

Posted by Rogkimr on 19/4/2013 at 18:00

I'm planning a similar trip for June and July 2013. How did your itinerary work out? What worked best and what would you change if you had to do it again?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations anyone has!

#5 Rogkimr has been a member since 19/4/2013. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.