Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Bangkok Red-Shirt Protest Round 2

Posted by timelytravelingtravler on 26/3/2010 at 03:59

there's an upcoming red-shirt protest this weekend which some claim will be a highlight for them, so i wanted to set up this room for all of us who are traveling to Bangkok or Thailand to keep each other informed on the situation and how everything is.

Please help fill us in!

#1 timelytravelingtravler has been a member since 17/3/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by Risha on 27/3/2010 at 11:57

The protests for this weekend, 26 + 27 March, have been Cancelled.

#2 Risha has been a member since 23/2/2010. Posts: 20

Posted by GOwin on 28/3/2010 at 18:43

I was in Bangkok last week for seven days. Except for the inconvenience brought about by the mass protest on the streets, I never felt it was unsafe to walk around even within protest areas.

The Bangkok tourism officials will always suggest that you detour around protest areas and there are a number of tourist attractions that has been closed because of the protest activities.

#3 GOwin has been a member since 4/3/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by hamilove on 7/4/2010 at 06:05

Getting pretty dangerous? Grenades and Riot police... I am due there on the 11th of May, hoping its relatively calm when i arrive. Should i avoid area or continue with plans?

#4 hamilove has been a member since 12/12/2009. Posts: 25

Posted by Parinya on 7/4/2010 at 17:21

Tourists will never be harmed by either yellow or red shirt protesters. I saw some tourists taking pictures in protest area. If you enter protest area, you will surely be warmly greeted.

Be careful only traffic. No worry about safety.

#5 Parinya has been a member since 7/4/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by mic59 on 8/4/2010 at 07:11

Last time I was in Thailand the major problem caused by the protesters was that they shut down the airport. I got out one day before that so this time I'm flying in and out of Phuket. I'll still have to go into Bangkok to get anywhere else but hopefully the train and bus stations won't be affected.

#6 mic59 has been a member since 30/7/2008. Posts: 107

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.