Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Accommodation on Koh Tao - getting the balance right

Posted by saxomophone on 29/3/2010 at 11:33

Hi

I'll be on Koh Tao for 5-7 days in April this year.

We will have spent 3-4 days on Koh Samui in a flashy 5 star resort for a wedding before we head to Koh Tao. Consequently, I would like to stay somewhere more up my alley - a clean, simple beach shack/bungalow type place.

So my priorities are:

- beautiful location
- clean bungalow accommodation, with own bathroom, fan (a/c optional)
- secluded but not too difficult to get to Mae Haad/Sairee

My primary concern is just being in a truly beautiful spot. I don't have a specific price range, but I would expect the sort of place I am imagining to be less than $US50 per night for the room. Something in the flashpacker category or lower mid range.

I've looked at Sai Thong which I am pretty keen on at this stage. I can handle a 30 minute walkt to the main action as a trade off for the beautiful location,

As an alternative, can anyone recommend a quiet, characterful bungalow type operation in the main areas that has some modicum of seclusion despite being close to the action?

Any suggestions would be welcome :)

#1 saxomophone has been a member since 13/1/2009. Posts: 13

Posted by saxomophone on 29/3/2010 at 12:00

I'm also liking the look of some of the east coast places, especially View Rock Resort at Hin Wong. How long would it take to walk to the west coast from here? If that's too ambitious, how long is a taxi trip?

#2 saxomophone has been a member since 13/1/2009. Posts: 13

Posted by Thijs on 29/3/2010 at 17:04

just posted my review on Queen Resort.

https://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/thailand/southern_thailand/surat_thani/ao_mae_haad/all/607

It's not a resort, but a nice bungalow between Ao Mae Haad and Haad Sairee. Cheap and a good night sleep. The island is small, so getting anywhere by foot isn't hard.... though allot of people use a scooter there.... sadly.

Have a good time!

#3 Thijs has been a member since 3/2/2010. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 4

Posted by alexrlynn on 30/3/2010 at 15:16

Coral View Resort

#4 alexrlynn has been a member since 4/1/2010. Posts: 5

Posted by saxomophone on 12/4/2010 at 06:03

Thanks for the responses.

I chose two places:

The View Rock Resort on the east coast for three nights and Charm Churee Villa for the following three nights.

Feet are getting itchier every day.

#5 saxomophone has been a member since 13/1/2009. Posts: 13

Posted by tezza on 15/4/2010 at 15:35

I've always reckoned my next stay at Tao would be Viewpoint in the south-west, but having seen so many positive posts on Coral View, I reckon I might head there off the ferry this June.

#6 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,345
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.