Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Update on Bangkok situation

Posted by emma066 on 13/4/2010 at 22:37

Has anyone got any updates from the last couple of days? Seems to have gone quiet...

Would be good to get perspectives from people who are there right now?

Thanks

#1 emma066 has been a member since 21/10/2009. Posts: 60

Posted by MADMAC on 14/4/2010 at 11:25

At present two things seem to have happened to slow things down:

1. Songkran
2. The Army Chief of Staff has indicated he isn't sending his boys back in there to tangle with the protestors.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by SBE on 14/4/2010 at 14:34

From Reuters this morning...

BANGKOK, April 14 (Reuters) - Thailand's anti-government protesters said on Wednesday they would all congregate at a single site in a ritzy Bangkok shopping district, preparing for a "final battleground" with the authorities.

The decision came after the death toll from Thailand's bloodiest political violence since 1992 rose by two -- a protester and a soldier -- to 23, according to medical authorities, and as the prospect of further violence looked set to clip growth in Southeast Asia's second-largest economy.

"We will use the Rachaprasong areas as the final battleground to oust the government," protest leader Nattawut Saikua told reporters on Wednesday. "There will be no more negotiations, no more talks."

---------------

For those unfamiliar with Bangkok, Ratchaprasong is the Central World shopping area near the Chitlom BTS stop and the Erawan shrine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_Siam_Ratchaprasong.png

If these planned protests go ahead then hotels and guesthouses in lower Sukhumvit are probably going to be affected, transport-wise at least.

#3 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,020
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by SBE on 14/4/2010 at 14:41

Sorry, should have made it clear that these protests are planned for after Songkran, not right now!

Here's the link to the Reuters story.

http://www.reuters.com/assets/print?aid=USSGE63D00520100414

#4 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,020
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by boxee on 14/4/2010 at 14:45

Just seen in the Bangkok post the a high general in the military Is planning a coup
WWW.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/174681/pt-gen-p-planning-to-stage-a-coup

#5 boxee has been a member since 26/3/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 131

Posted by MADMAC on 14/4/2010 at 17:09

I don't know if there will be a coup or the Army simply will refuse to engage the protestors. The result will be the same. The government in power now won't be.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Risha on 14/4/2010 at 17:50

The latest update is that all the red shirts have abandoned Ratchadamnoern Road and met up at Rajprasong.

#7 Risha has been a member since 23/2/2010. Posts: 20

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/4/2010 at 22:26 admin

Sorry have been a bit MIA on this, just working through some other distractions...

Anyway, this piece in the WallStreetJournal preety much knocks the nail on the head and does a good job of explaining why everything needs to come to a head.

Also, if you're in Australia, I suggest you watch the vid (unfortunately can't be viewed outside Oz) referenced here

I'm going to break my own rules and crosspost this to the other Bangkok thread :)

#8 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Enigma on 19/4/2010 at 01:27

For current (English language) info on the situation ("breaking news"), I have found The Nation's website to be a fairly accurate source.

Each day they have a forum that is dedicated only to published news reports and bursts of info coming in from their reporters.

This is the link for The Nations newspaper's Thailand News Clippings.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thailand-News-clippings-f18.html

Within this link you will find various forum topics. I suggest you ignore 99% of them. However, during each day of the crisis, they have posted a daily forum. Normally it will have a title such as

"Bangkok Red Shirts Rally Live Sunday)"

As an example, here is today's link

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bangkok-Red-Shirt-Rally-Live-Sund-t357070.html

If you use this source, I think you will have good, current news updates of what is happening at the moment. I am not necessarily endorsing their news and editorial content but I do find their site to be current and frequently updated. This is a good source for those of us attempting to avoid the hot spots in town.

If anyone has other sources of "breaking news", I would like to know about them.

#9 Enigma has been a member since 14/9/2008. Posts: 20

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.