Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

What should my budget be for 4 months?

Posted by JessicaBenson3 on 20/4/2010 at 05:06

i am going to Southeast Asia for about 4 months. Can i get by on about $500 a month? Im just trying to figure out how much i should budget. I'll be going from Bangkok to Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, possibly Indonesia and back to southern Thailand. Thanks!

#1 JessicaBenson3 has been a member since 23/2/2010. Posts: 9

Posted by UCSBrown on 20/4/2010 at 08:30

You can get by on USD$16.66/day but why would you want do? You'll be sleeping in rooms with bugs, a fan (maybe), eating nothing but street food (which ain't terribly bad), no drinking and traveling on 3rd classes buses.

Even if you stay in Hostel Dorms you're looking at $8-10/day.

On the low end I think a budget of about $25-30/day is more reasonable unless you were budgeting Transportation and Entrance Fees separately.

#2 UCSBrown has been a member since 28/11/2009. Posts: 24

Posted by travellingsarah on 20/4/2010 at 17:50 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'd agree - $25 is more realistic if you want at least a few comforts. You could spend less than that in Laos but some of the islands in Southern Thailand are quite pricey and transport to / around Indonesia could add up too.

#3 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 681
 Send travellingsarah a private message   Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by travellingsarah on 20/4/2010 at 17:50 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'd agree - $25 is more realistic if you want at least a few comforts. You could spend less than that in Laos but some of the islands in Southern Thailand are quite pricey and transport to / around Indonesia could add up too.

#4 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 681
 Send travellingsarah a private message   Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.