Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Upcoming trip - Bangkok & North questions

Posted by roverinexile on 28/10/2006 at 07:47

First time poster, but been reading this very helpful site & board for a few months now.

By way of background, I spent 2 months traveling round Thailand back in 1993. Heading back for the first time since then in early January 2007, this time with my wife, who'll be on her first trip to SE Asia. I'm sure lots will have changed, but I'm excited to see everything again.

As I plan our trip, I have a couple of questions, which I hope some kind soul can help me answer. I'm sure there will be more to follow!

1. Bangkok - I've seen glowing reports of the Thai Cozy House. Do the deluxe rooms have windows, or just the "balcony view" rooms?

2. Trekking - We're considering trekking from Pai (I had good experiences years ago). Does anyone have any preference or recent experience? I'm more after the walking part, rather than rafting & elephants.

3. I've seen varying reports of the different routes from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong (& Laos). Is it better to get a direct bus, or go via Chiang Rai? We need to get over the border in the afternoon, not the next morning.

4. How cold is it in the north of Thailand in January? Is it cool enough at night for fan rooms to be comfortable for my "sensitive" wife?

Thanks in advance for your help, and great job with this web-site.

rich

#1 roverinexile has been a member since 12/8/2006. Posts: 18

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/10/2006 at 09:46 admin

Hi rich,

Welcome to Travelfish!

Believe me you'll find Thailand has changed a LOT!

1) That's a good question -- and I don't know the answer -- if you don't get an answer from someone else on the board, I'd suggest dropping them an email and asking.

3) If you need to get over the border same day, you need to leave Chiang Mai fairly early. My understanding is the trip is faster going via Chiang Rai (where you change bus) rather than taking a direct bus, but I've not checked that first-hand. I'd suggest asking after it when in Chiang Mai. Another option is to go by tourist minibus from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong apparently a few guesthouses now offer such a service -- assuming the minibus doesn't dawdle along the way, that will be the quickest way.

Out of curiosity, why do you need to get into Laos that afternoon? they'll be little in the way of transport out of Huay Xai that late...

4) I'd sat CM gets pretty cool at night and for most, a fan room would be adequate -- I guess it depends on what you're acclimatised to...

Hope that helps

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by roverinexile on 28/10/2006 at 21:52

Thanks for the help.

We're thinking about taking the Nagi of Mekong from Huay Xai (topic of a future question, I'm sure). It leaves at 8am in the morning, so I think we need to get into Laos the afternoon before.

#3 roverinexile has been a member since 12/8/2006. Posts: 18

Posted by exacto on 29/10/2006 at 10:49

Rich,

I might be one of the folks who has been talking up Thai Cozy. We had a deluxe room, and it had a window with a pretty good view of the stupas at the nearby Wat Bawon. Sorry, but we forgot to ask to look at one of the balcony rooms to see if it was worth the extra money or not. Regards.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by roverinexile on 30/10/2006 at 06:43

You've certainly had an influence on looking into Thai Cozy!

Now, is anyone able to take a stab at the trekking question & choice between Chiang Mai & Pai?

#5 roverinexile has been a member since 12/8/2006. Posts: 18

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.