Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

From BKK to train station

Posted by mrkite on 23/4/2010 at 16:46

Hello all. I'm flying into Suvarnabhumi on May 3rd and given the escalating situation there I'm keen to head North to Chiang Mai asap.
Can anyone give me info as to how close the train station is to the airport? I arrive at 1 so I'm just wondering when I can expect to be at the station.

Cheers.

#1 mrkite has been a member since 4/2/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by RotPickup on 23/4/2010 at 18:16

If you would like to avoid going to Hualamphong Main Station in inner Bangkok you can enter the train of your choice at Bang Sue Railway Station in Northern Bangkok. All Chiang Mai Bound Trains stop there; check out the timetable here: http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp
You can either take the Public Bus from Suvarnabhumi Airport to MoChit Busstation and take a 5min. Taxiride to BangSue or get a direct Taxi from Suvarnabhumi Airport wich should cost you about 300Baht.
Be aware; there are different Platforms for local and express trains at Bangsue; ask the staff to find out the correct one.

#2 RotPickup has been a member since 7/6/2008. Posts: 32

Posted by Captain_Bob on 24/4/2010 at 12:33

If your flight gets in at 1:00pm then you won't make the 2:30pm sleeper train and the next one doesn't leave Hualamphong until 6pm (then again at 7:35 and 10pm). So don't hurry. Mid-afternoon traffic is usually not so bad, takes about 30-40 minutes by metered taxi from the airport.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by mrkite on 27/4/2010 at 11:55

thanks RotPickup and Captian Rob, much appreciated!

#4 mrkite has been a member since 4/2/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by mrkite on 29/4/2010 at 09:25

I just spoke with a friend today and she just left from Hualamphong without incident. I see on seat61.com that there's a train leaving at 2:30. Will I have enough time to make it there if my flight lands at 1? Assuming I can get in a cab by 1:30 does an hour give me enough time?
Thanks again.

#5 mrkite has been a member since 4/2/2010. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.